CuteFish OS 0.6

Discussion on Linux distributions
wove

CuteFish OS 0.6

Post by wove »

The image can be obtained here <en.cutefishos.com>

Cutefish is built on QT and KDEframeworks. It is available as a spin on Manjaro and Ubuntu, but the distro itself is built on Debian 11. It appears that it is trying very hard to be a Mac OS clone. It has a dock and features a global menu.

I installed this on a virtual machine. It installed without issue and runs well. The DE itself is rather spartan. They have created a couple applications specific to Cutefish. I does appear though that many of the included applications are gtk apps, very gnome. The file manager appears to be Nautllus, the text editor is gEdit. They have a package installer (gdebi?). Being Debian apt works fine from the terminal and the first thing I installed was synaptic, which installs and works fine for installing applications. The default browser is chromium.

I have not tried installing any KDE applications, but I did install Gnome-Web and Rhythmbox, both of which installed fine and worked as one would expect them to work. I was somewhat impressed that the install applications all used the Global Menu. Gnome has really invested in the "hamburger" menu and typically on DEs with a global menu (KDE, Budgie, Trinity) the global menu does not work for gnome applications.

I am overall not fond of DEs whose main purpose is to look like some other DE. There are features in the MacOS that I really like, but I feel if I really wanted to have my DE be Mac, then I would use Apple's Mac hardware. But with that being said Cutefish OS runs very well and being built on Debian one could take it in whatever direction one desired. Probably not daily driver material, but it is solid stable and had good potential.
crosscourt

Re: CuteFish OS 0.6

Post by crosscourt »

Feren OS tries to look like Win11 and honestly they did a nice job, It doesnt put me off. Zorin has the ability to look like various versions of Windows which is fairly popular. Its nice for those who crossover and havent tried other DE's before and may be hesitant. Once they gain experience they can change the desktop any way they like. Given the complaints from many mainstream users about the many different DE's and their many different designs/features, having some distros with a DE that has a familiar look and feel is a good thing.
Site Moderator