The three distros I use the most

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: The three distros I use the most

Post by crosscourt »

Try Zorin 16 on your pavillion it should work but MX21 has some issues with some older computers so MX18 may be a better choice but how secure it is remains to be seen.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its a shame that distros cant maintain a level of quality all the time as they move to newer versions. Overall I think Mint has doe the best job of this but I havent really used any distros that have gotten it right completely. It also depends on hardware as some distros push forward more as others still allow older hardware to perform properly.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

crosscourt wrote:ts a shame that distros cant maintain a level of quality all the time
I think that is a big problem seen in Linux Distros. Some of Fedora's releases are masterful, solid, stable and fast. Then six months later they have a release that is just horrid. I find Fedora Silverblue 35 to be as nice a distro as I have used, but in nine months Fedora will force you to move to Fedora 36 and my experience with Fedora tells me that there is a one in three chance that release will not be usable.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Fedora is a bit more cutting edge yet with such a short turnaround with new versions, you would think they could get it right more often. MX Linux's goal is stability yet theyve made quite a few mistakes with recent versions, MX18 being the exception. Mint has done a great job but they like to get on tangents and add things that really arent needed. Its this situation I think that gives people who are outside of Linux looking to switch,a reason to pause and reconsider. Windows isnt perfect either but they only have to consider one OS.
Zorin 16 is excellent but many of their older versions had issues but they have made steady progress with both 15 and 16.
Fedora's turnaround is just too short for me and I tend to avoid it.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Neon is starting to grow on me as its improved its method for upgrading and there have been far fewer issues with updates. It seems more stable recently and I havent had any issues. I tried it last night with the Dell Edock and my Dell 7270 and I had no issues getting it up and running. The Edock hasnt always worked right with various distros.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I went back to Fedora SilverBlue on the IdeaCentre. Pop OS seemed like it was trying too hard. There is a fine line between features and bloat, and Pop is very close to the line. Endless OS has released a new version for updating, but the installers are not out yet. It uses ostree built on Debian and I want to give it a try. Endless noted the 4.0 release is built on Bullseye and they are expecting the fresh release will be able to be call an LTS release. An imuteable built on top of Debians stable should be a hard to beat combination. Since Fedora, Pop and Endless are all variations on Gnome and ostree, it is very easy to move from one to the other. And from a workflow standpoint there is almost no difference between them. It boils down to whose shiny icons do you like better.

I spoke a bit too soon installer images for Endless 4.0 are now out and can be downloaded here <https://endlessos.com/download/>
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Pop has gotten bloated. They are presently developing a new OS for their systems, so things will probably change.
Site Moderator