Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Best Debian based Linux distros

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Best Debian based Linux distros

Post by tlmiller »

I'm not a fan of the fact that they put Ubuntu-based distro's in there. Yeah, Ubuntu is directly based on Debian (although I'd still argue despite this it should be considered not based on it for these purposes), but putting things based on Ubuntu gets REALLY iffy.
wove

Post by wove »

That was my thought when I looked it over. My son's next door neighbor makes his living writing mobile apps for retail businesses. He has created lots of templates that he can use for different types of stores He augments that by writing articles for sites such as "makeuseof". He says they pay ~$10 for an article. And to make a decent living at that you need to do about 4 articles an hour. That of course does not provide time for much dedicated research. Again he has templates to create these articles quickly mainly from web searches. I do not think there is any intention to mislead on these sorts of sites. They have a very nice domain name, short articles as this can pull in a good number of people, which brings advertising dollars. I tend to think of such sites as mostly upscale click bait.
chris

Post by chris »

How come they missed the best one (IMHO)?
Linux Mint Debian Edition - Cinnamon Desktop.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its a mainstream site that posts a lot of generalclick bait articles. Everybody does this in varying ways, even sites like Arstechnica. This particular site is a decent site and including Ubuntu isnt that big an issue, but was impressed they included Q4OS. One strange thing was they said KDE was the default desktop with Q4OS. David Delony is a good free lance writer as Ive seen his articles on other sites.
I posted this as a general interest topic.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I do not think anything is wrong with MakeUseOf. They had a nice tutorial on editing dchp configuration on the Raspberry Pi to create a static IP which I used just the other day. I think the weakness of the site is in the variable quality of the material. The site classifies itself as an "entertainment" site, so it is more news stand than library, both of which can and do include useful and interesting information.