Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Best Linux distributions based on KDE

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Best Linux distributions based on KDE

Post by tlmiller »

Having Kubuntu #2 is a laugh for me. There's no other distro I've had as many issues with in the past as Kubuntu.

I also find it funny that they list Manjaro KDE, which is a much more troublesome install than EndeavourOS KDE, due to Manjaro's policy of delaying Arch upgrades, it actually causes a lot of issues if you attempt to use AUR with it.

Overall, seems less of a "best" and more of a "what's the trending topics of today"
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Those distros werent ranked(note about not ranking just above KDE Neon title) they are just numbered in order of appearance. Not sure why they didnt rank them.

Didnt care for their list and as to whats trending, Endeavour is far more popular than Manjaro is presently.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I installed Endeavour OS with KDE DE in Boxes. It runs very well. I forgot how much I liked Konqueror. I am having troubles with Plasma and it looks like hell. I increased the default font sizes by 2pts, which makes things more legible for me. However doing so messed up windows and dialog box, menus. Bigger text in the title bar pushed the buttons out of the window, and just generally all the text over flows. While the text enlarged the space allotted for the text has not increased to accomodate the larger text.

Without having a package manager application and using just pacman for install, I have trouble figuring out all the components I want. I installed Kontact, which is actually just the window presentation that holds KMail and KOrganizer etc, which leaves me at something of a loss figuring out what I need/want to make the DE I like/want.

I think Endeavour OS with Plasma uses Xorg, while the host is using Wayland and I wonder if that might be impacting the window drawing.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Out of that list I could only recommend MX Linux KDE. I would have added Netrunner and Feren OS. Mageia 8 has also improved hugely.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'd have a hard time recommending Feren with how they've mucked up their settings. Duplication of a lot of things, many things moved to areas they're not in on any other plasma-based OS, etc. While it might be an ok OS to use coming from Windows, it's not really a good OS to use for Plasma.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Feren for the average user or Windows crossover user is fine but I agree some of the changes I didnt care for.
Site Moderator