Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Feren OS 2021.10 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Feren OS 2021.10 released

Post by crosscourt »

Just updated and so far so good. This is the most stable Ive been with Feren in quite awhile and if it can stay this way, Id be interested in using it. Its using KDE 5.20.5 and the 5.11 kernel. My recommendation would be to do a fresh install of 2021.10 and avoid upgrading from past versions.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Been playing with it and none of the minor issues showed up and none of the crazy error messages at boot to GUI.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Installed this on a VM this morning. Surprisingly decent looking. Still not a HUGE fan of the defaults, but at least it's not ugly. More useless things than I care for installed by default.
Slowest booting live environment I've ever used, but absolutely no issues once it booted. No idea why it took so long, but was staring at a black screen for nearly 10 minutes before it finally finished booting, and it wasn't like it was on a resource starved VM, it had 4 threads and 8GB ram.
WHY, I ask WHY would someone replace Dolphin as the default file manager with Nemo? This is like replacing your perfectly good Toyota Camry with a Yugo!!!! Sure, it can get the same things done, but it's clunkier and nowhere near as well built!!
All the changes to the settings I guess could make sense if I weren't used to the normal Plasma settings, but as are, they just confuse me. There's a LOT of duplication of settings now.
Overall, not to my tastes, but at least it's not hideous, and they follow a fairly consisstent theme. So I can see where people might enjoy it. Although the Nemo thing throws me for a huge loop, dolphin is generally considered the best of the (purely) gui file managers even by users of other desktops, so purposely downgrading the file manager seems an odd choice.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Even though they moved away from Mint they kept some apps and design features from that time.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I don't think the changes would annoy me so much if they didn't cause so much duplication. But there's many settings that you can now set in 2 or 3 places in Feren, while Plasma team is specifically been trying to prune DOWN on the complexity number of entries in the systemsettings menu.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont mind distros trying to be different but yes, duplication and unneeded changes arent welcome. I have to say though that the recent version is a vast improvement over what happened right after they dropped Mint and went Ubuntu. Two of my installs were so broken I gave up and only used my recent install.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

If youre going to use Feren, do it from a fresh install. Two of my older installs that were upgraded to the recent version of Feren, both have major issues and cannot be updated properly as well. Feren really needs to clean this up and solve the issues with the Neon packages they are using.
Site Moderator