Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

MX Linux 21 RC1 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: MX Linux 21 RC1 released

Post by tlmiller »

Trying out the Plasma version of this in a VM this morning as well. Glad they kept the installer still and haven't felt pressured to go to Calamares. While it's simple, I like this installer a lot more than some of the more "pretty" installers there are available for live systems.

GORGEOUS start menu by default. By the gods it's nice to see a distro that respects cleanliness, simplicity, and efficiency instead of "we must make it pretty even if it gets in the way of usability!!". And a normal task manager instead of icons only? Holy $^#@$%@#, yes please. IMO, so many distro's could learn what SENSIBLE defaults are from MX.

After that, it's just..you know...Debian. So all the things I love about Debian are valid here. If they had an option during the install for "minimal" that installed just the MX settings and an absolute base Plamsa with nothing additional I'd even potentially use this since their defaults are more sane (IMO) than Debian defaults.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

MX thru MX pcckages offers an easy way for users to use a variety of more up to date software/kernels/DEs, all offered in an easy to install manner.
The MXTools really simplify many tasks not just for new users but speeds up tasks for more experienced users.
I use to use Mepis and it made the Debian experience easier and smoother for users. MX Linux has done a great job merging the Mepis and anti-X communities into one of the best distros available.
Is it perfect, no. It does respond very well to issues and the needs of its users. Wish they had the KDE version available early on as I was using the XFCE version and liked it but still prefer KDE.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

tlmiller wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:20 pm Trying out the Plasma version of this in a VM this morning as well. Glad they kept the installer still and haven't felt pressured to go to Calamares. While it's simple, I like this installer a lot more than some of the more "pretty" installers there are available for live systems.

GORGEOUS start menu by default. By the gods it's nice to see a distro that respects cleanliness, simplicity, and efficiency instead of "we must make it pretty even if it gets in the way of usability!!". And a normal task manager instead of icons only? Holy $^#@$%@#, yes please. IMO, so many distro's could learn what SENSIBLE defaults are from MX.

After that, it's just..you know...Debian. So all the things I love about Debian are valid here. If they had an option during the install for "minimal" that installed just the MX settings and an absolute base Plamsa with nothing additional I'd even potentially use this since their defaults are more sane (IMO) than Debian defaults.
I haven't used MX for a couple of years now. As a primary XFCE user I found their iteration didn't quite hit the spot. However, your comments about their approach are nevertheless very true.

So, I thought - OK I'll give their KDE a whirl, and you know, it is quite nice isn't it? They have set a base appearance that is as you say 'sensible'. I like the default inclusion of qt for controls as that is the only way I can get to a comfortable scrollbar arrangement. Maybe the blue they use for highlighted items is a bit bright, but that's easily fixed. Now, what happens when I try to update to Plasma 5.22..... :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I believe ive seen posts in their forums from users who are running KDE 5.22 without issue.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

MX has gotten very popular among my Windows switchers, MX Tools really helped them with some of the features of Linux and learn how tto use them to their advantage.
Site Moderator