Ubuntu 16.04

Discussion on Linux distributions
wove

Ubuntu 16.04

Post by wove »

This is just something of a hoot. Ubuntu 16.04 users can get updates until 2024. Here is a site that tells you how;

<https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2021/09/ubu ... m-for-free>

Ubuntu 16.04 was the last Ubuntu that used the Unity Desktop, which was a desktop that I really liked. Maybe I should go back and reinstall it. ;)
crosscourt

Re: Ubuntu 16.04

Post by crosscourt »

Its silly as you can run the Unity desktop on Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04 so whats the point to using an unsupported 16.04.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Unity really died with 16.04. You can still run the Unity desktop and it still looks about the same, but the features that made it a very solid productive environment are gone. Global menus by and large do not exist for any GTK based application. The HUD is hit or miss at best. The scopes are no longer functional. Ending Unity is what got me to move over to KDE. Unity 7 is now ubports and it appears mostly for phones. I think there is a ubports for the desktop, but I have not tried it.

That period was something of a holy war between Gnome and Ubuntu. Gnome decided at some point they would only support that inane hamburger menu and killed off supporting global menus. Wayland ragged on Mir and Ubuntu did not have the resources to do it alone. Years later and Wayland still seems far from universal adoption.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Was never a fan of Unity nor Gnome 3 but yes if you want all the original features, it isnt going to happen except with 16.04. That said, running a non-supported 16.04 also makes no sense. I moved to KDE after Ubuntu went to Unity and dropped Gnome 2 which I actually liked. The only Gnome based distro I use is Zorin which uses Gnome Shell with a custom desktop.
Site Moderator