KDE Neon 5.22.5

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

KDE Neon 5.22.5

Post by crosscourt »

A bit of a mixed bag but installed fine. Once installed, I couldnt get all my added apps from Discover the only package manager at that point. It didnt have Synaptic so installed Muon and that worked. Then I installed Synaptic only to find out that a lot of apps were missing in Synaptic which surprised me. Went back to Muon and got everything I wanted and finished the setup. Its a pretty minimalist distro so youll need to add quite a few apps. Firefox was there but I added Thunderbird and went online to download Chrome and installed it thru system handler. Syatem monitor is way off so added Ksysguard and Htop to monitor memory usage. Given this is a laptop I like a battery monitor in the task bar but instead they include it in the tab with many other apps so you cant view it all the time. Alll hardware was installed fine and resource usage was around 476mb which is very good. Ill be back once I do some testing. Be sure to add the Kubuntu restricted extras so you can get the better fonts and all your codecs as Neon does not offer to install them at the initial install screen.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: KDE Neon 5.22.5

Post by crosscourt »

Tested two games, youtube and one of my anime sites and everything seems to be working fine. Performance is excellent and so far no issues nor lockups. No cooling issues as Im using my Dell 6440 laptop for testing. I would rate Neon far better than Kubuntu even though its based on it. I had many issues with Kubuntu with one of my recent installs. Neon uses the 5.11 kernel which is way ahead of most Ubuntu based distros not to mention its uses the most recent KDE version 5.22.5. The menu in settings on Neon is a bit simpler and more straightforward than the one I use with Feren OS which uses 5.22.4. Much prefer the Neon version but when it comes to global themes Neon has next to nothing. Sure you can go get some but Id like to see a slightly larger selection. Youll need to add an office suite as they have none, along with no music app nor disc writing app. It does have VLC and I also added qbittorrent,hardinfo,bleachbit,audacious and k3b.
I also warn you that it took me many tries to download the iso. Direct download was broken and the torrent took many tries but it finally worked today.
They dont have any mirrors active so its either their downloads or nothing.
Ill report back once Ive used it more.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The battery time widget that lists itself as being associated I assume with something from MacOS works great. It shows a green scale as to present charge evel, a percentage of charge as well as a visible time for charging to finish. You dont have to lay the mouse on it to see everything to need to know.
Battery life appears to be excellent with this distro and havent had any cooling issues given I use it all day at work.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Slighlty offtopic, but my favorite battery widget is actually TRINITY's. It's a duracell battery in the system tray (copper top).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Never seen that one but sounds cool.
Site Moderator