Linux Mint 20.2 XFCE

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Linux Mint 20.2 XFCE

Post by crosscourt »

I was looking for an alternative to KDE distros Ive been using recently and decided to give it a try. Wasnt disappointed as the install was flawless, setup was very easy and the added features such as the system maintenance and kernel tool make this a great distro to use. Resource usage was around 479mb so thats in the same range as my KDE distros. After trying Neon and not liking some of the changes with the more recent 5.22.x versions, XFCE turned out to be a good choice, as configuring it, getting the appearance right and having a lot of choices in icons made it easy. It doesnt overload you with a lot of added software but theres are some great choices you can add either from the store or thru Synaptic. Update manager works very well and had no issues.
Whats interesting is they are still using the 5.4 kernel and its supported thru 2025. My other Ubuntu based distros are using 5.8 or 5.10.
Firefox and Thunderbird are there by default, along with RhythmBox and instead of VLC, they use Celluloid. I had to add Brasero/XFBurn, Chromium,Audacious and Bleachbit. The XFCE task manager was a disappointment so added LXtask instead, which offers better features and a digital readout of memory usage.
Id recommend this distro to anyone looking for a mainstream experience and I will compare it with Linux Lite and MX Linux fairly soon after I test them.
Site Moderator