GhostBSD 09-08 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
wove

GhostBSD 09-08 released

Post by wove »

A YouTube channel I like to watch is Robonuggie. He only covers BSD specifically FreeBSD and distos based on FreeBSD. And that is where I saw a new GhostBSD was released. The big news seems to be that the underlying system has been update and well nothing else is changed.

GhostBSD uses Mate for the desktop. GhostBSD is also a portable system, so you can run from a live USB and just save whatever you do, and take the USB stick and move from machine to machine. When running live from a USB it takes ~3GB of RAM since it loads itself into RAM. If you do an install to an internal HD is uses ~750MB of RAM at startup. These numbers are taken from the video. I have not personally tried it. It also runs well on virtual box, which is to be expected since I think most BSD installs are done to containers of some sort.

I think BSD would be too hard to work with, but I do like the mind set at work. They say you should always check if peripherals are compatible with your system, which I never do. They also tend to be even very conservative compared Debian. "Oh damn they upgraded KDE from 5.1 to 5.11 and now I will probably have stability problems for the next 6 months. I just do not understand why they keep messing with things. 5.1 has been working well for 4 years and I do not see there was any good reason to make a change." :)
crosscourt

Re: GhostBSD 09-08 released

Post by crosscourt »

You beat me to it, but heres a link, https://distrowatch.com/11344
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

wove wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:35 am
I think BSD would be too hard to work with, but I do like the mind set at work. They say you should always check if peripherals are compatible with your system, which I never do. They also tend to be even very conservative compared Debian. "Oh damn they upgraded KDE from 5.1 to 5.11 and now I will probably have stability problems for the next 6 months. I just do not understand why they keep messing with things. 5.1 has been working well for 4 years and I do not see there was any good reason to make a change." :)
While I get what you're saying, that was a REALLY bad version to choose as an example. Plasma 5.1 was a steaming cesspool of instability... :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ill second that about KDE 5.1, which caused me to move over to XFCE.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

My bad. I think KDE does have a history of boom and bust. Doesn't Trinity exist because KDE 4 was a dumpster fire. KDE was my first Linux desktop, mainly because KDE reached a useable desktop before Gnome.

I think the last new feature I added to an OS/desktop was email. My needs overall are pretty simple. And I do like the attitude of "if it ain't broke don't fix it."
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

wove wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:26 am My bad. I think KDE does have a history of boom and bust. Doesn't Trinity exist because KDE 4 was a dumpster fire. KDE was my first Linux desktop, mainly because KDE reached a useable desktop before Gnome.
Basically, yes. Like with Plasma 5 that followed it, KDE 4 was basically unusable in it's first few release versions. KDE 4 I want to say somewhere around 4.5 or 4.6 was finally stable enough for day to day use without ripping ones hair out. Plasma 5, meanwhile, basically took until 5.8 to get to that point.