Debian 11 release date revealed

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Debian 11 release date revealed

Post by crosscourt »

A number of websites includi8ng www.betanews.com have revealed that Debian 11 will be released on August 14 of this year.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Debian 11 release date revealed

Post by tlmiller »

That's right within the timeframe that most were expecting. Normally I'd still have at least 1 or 2 stable installs still around to upgrade to new stable, but this particular upgrade cycle I've already upgraded every machine to 11, so not as much anticipation for the release as I would normally have.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I run Q4OS Gemini as my Debian 11 install and except for the Q4OS elements its just Debian. Im leaning towards running it instead of Feren OS, thats not heading in a good direction these days, as their move to Ubuntu rather than Mint cost them quite a few users and made them just another Ubuntu KDE distro.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

To my mind KDE and Debian have always been a bad fit. The update schedule of KDE is measured in months, and so with a Debian base you're quickly out of date - and in some cases stuck with baked in bugs.

As I recall Feren have changed over to using Neon for the KDE stuff - which does make sense. Mint is Ubuntu based any way, so what Feren are doing actually makes good sense as Neon does update often - as its users can testify!

I'm looking forward to doing a vanilla TDE install on 11 - I find that some of the stuff under the bonnet with Q4 causes too many problems, especially the config file redirections.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

To my knowledge Feren OS is Kubuntu based(I dont think they are Neon based for the KDE stuff) but the issue with moving away from Mint is an issue. They were originally a popular Cinnamon based distro based on Mint with a large following. The hope was to gain some of the Mint users who were fans of the KDE version and it worked for a time tiull they decided to move over to being Kubuntu based and dropped the Cinnamon version. The fan base dropped out and now they are floundering.
Neon as a distro has its ups and downs and newer KDE versions sometimes have issues of their own so its not a perfect situation either way. Feren OS has been stuck on 5.21.5 KDE for quite some time versus Neon which is at 5.22.3.

I havent run into any issues with Q4OS Gemini KDE myself but Im a mainstream user and dont tweak much so I rarely have any issues. Will also be looking at MX Linux new version.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Pretty sure you're correct. Never saw anything about Feren moving to Neon, and if it were following Neon it would have upgraded to 5.22 quite a long time ago.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I checked with the devs and Feren is definitely not using anything Neon based. Theyve been self customizing Feren for quite some time.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Q4OS Gemini has become a really popular distro for those looking for an easier and quicker way to install Debian with a few added perks.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I like Q4OS; they introduced me to Trinity and I found this forum from the Q4OS forum. I do not like Q4OS' added perks however. I can not figure out what purpose they were made for, and it seems like they get in the way of easy configuration. I also find it a bit of a bother that the default install has some many gtk apps, while Trinity and Plasma has equally fine applications to do the same job.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Q4OS software installer for many users is a good feature along with some of the more minor features. The way Q4OS installs and the choice of a minimal, medium or full desktop install is also a popular feature. Being a mainstream user with Q4OS I find it stable with no issues and easy to introduce to new users. Il also like MX Linux which has many nice user features and also has a great software installer with a huge variety of apps and kernels.
The way Q4OS handles drivers also works very well including Nvidia drivers. Its interesting as Q4OS provides no Q4OS themes or wallpapers with Gemini and all the themes and wallpapers are Debian.
Site Moderator