Debian 11 release date revealed

Discussion on Linux distributions
wove

Re: Debian 11 release date revealed

Post by wove »

Beyond the difference in the base distro is there much difference between regular Cinnamon Mint and LMDE. Also just curious if you have used the Cinnamon DE with any other distros.
chris

Post by chris »

Can't really answer that. I tend to use MATE with Slackware and Void. Used to use it with Mint, too, until I switched to LMDE.
The only reason I have Cinnamon on LMDE is that a MATE distribution is not available for download and I can't be bothered to set it up in LMDE. I find Cinnamon quite useable though. I'd really like Clem to cobble together another LMDE where the D stands for Devuan but I suppose it's a bit too much to hope for.
One this I do do, is install xfce4-terminal, xfce4-panel and xfwm4, as I find them much better than the terminal and panel installed with either Cinnamon or MATE.
chris

Post by chris »

It seems I should have done some more homework.
With Devuan (Debian without systemd) you can install both Cinnamon and Xfce4 at the same time.
The problem is Cinnamon is only 3.8.8 (vs LMDE's 5.0.5), kernel is only 4.19 and xfce4 is 4.12 (vs 4.16)
Workable though.
wove

Post by wove »

Beyond the difference in init managers are Devuan and Debian any different?
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Devuan is about a year or so behind (Beowulf was released June 2020, whereas Buster was released July 2019). So the current release of Devuan is about a full year from being replaced by newstable, whereas Debian is about 2 WEEKS away from the same. This is the single LARGEST thing that keeps me from touching Devuan. While Debian is a bit long in the tooth, Devuan is downright Archaic comparatively speaking, being MORE out of date than Debian is NOT a good thing...

But beyond that and the init, there's VERY little difference, true.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats why I try to use Debian based distros that will give more up to date software options versus Debian.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

crosscourt wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:27 pm I checked with the devs and Feren is definitely not using anything Neon based. Theyve been self customizing Feren for quite some time.
Just been revisiting Feren - I see that a lot of their packages are named blahblah-0xneon+xxxx

If they are not Neon based then how come the naming - just curious :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I thought I had mentioned it in this thread but I may have put it in the Feren OS thread instead. Neon packages are being used with Feren as they contacted me with more detailed info and we're sorry for the confusion. So as I said in my other response I stand corrected as bin was correct.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

Thanks cc. It's OK - I tried Feren again and this time it won't get past the locales setup post install. Tried different downloads etc etc but no go - so I gave up and went back to Gemini updating to 5.22 Plasma and all good! :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Feren has become unstable and Ive had issues recently, and no longer use it. I also use Gemini, but have also been using, Zorin 16,Mageia 8 and Mint XFCE 20.2
Site Moderator