Try these advanced distros not based on Debian,Arch or Red Hat

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Try these advanced distros not based on Debian,Arch or Red Hat

Post by tlmiller »

My opinions:

NixOS
This might be neat, in the future. The repos are far too small for my tastes, and the way it's designed while it's FANTASTIC idea, means it's impossible to just "install" software outside the package manager and keep the security of the system. Cool to play around with, not cool to actually try to use IMO.

Void Linux
I think EVERYONE knows my thoughts on this. One of the neatest distro's to play with on a VM. Still repos too small, and there's too many occasional issues to actually use it on bare metal to me. But if they ever get the repos enlarged (or even just xbps-src packages), it'll be a FINE distribution.

Slackware
Oh, how I hate using this distro. Mad respect for it. It really hasn't changed it's philosophy since it was first released. And the fact that it's the oldest active distribution in existence definitely says something. But man, I hate using it.

Gentoo
If you take the time to set it up correct, this is the fastest distro there is. However, updates take brutallly long due to having to compile EVERY SINGLE PACKAGE. So...not for me.

Clear Linux
The fastest linux that uses binaries there is. Hands down, it's not even funny how much faster this is than things like Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, Arch, and the like. Too bad it's basically unusable due to it being so specially focused that most drivers for non-server hardware has been removed, there's almost no software available outside server software available, and most of the software there is are in massive packages, that you get 5-10 applications of which you only want 1. Wow, I hate it.

Linux From Scratch
GREAT learning experience. Not fun to actually run it day-to-day...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Feel the same way about Slackware, as I have huge respect for it but absolutely hate using it.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

He mentions Mageia and Solus but I have an issue with seeing Mageia as independent. It still heavily looks a lot like Mandriva and uses RPMs so not sure how he sees it that way.
Site Moderator