Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Mageia 6 review- very refreshing

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Mageia 6 review- very refreshing

Post by crosscourt »

Since this review many of the issues have been corrected and I did not experience some of the crashes and issues the reviewer did. Ive been running Mageia 6 since July 2017 and so far its been the best, most stable KDE install Ive used and that includes quite a few major KDE distros.

Given its RPM/Mandriva based there are some quirks but if you're familiar with Mandriva, you'll embrace those features and really enjoy this distro.

Good resource usage at around 407mbs, much lower than Kubuntu or KDE Neon while being far more stable.
Thats with an Intel IGP, so with proprietary drivers say Nvidia, that number will rise by around 150mbs.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im typing on Mageia 6 now and its one of the most stable KDE distros Ive used in quite some time. After testing Fedora, KDE Neon,Kubuntu and PCLinuxOS KDE none are as stable as Mageia 6 on my hardware.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Huge amount of updates moving KDE to 5.8.7 and Frameworks to 5.32 and security fixes. With the move to 6.1, new isos will be available and work on Mageia 7 is ongoing. KDE is very stable with this release and Im presently using 5.12 with Neptune 5 but its got a few issues, nothing major but stick to 5.8.7 if you rely on your system.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They just updated KDE to 5.12.4 and Frameworks 5.45 and using the 4.14 kernel.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I haven't tested Mageia in a while now. I might try this on the E5430 when I get done testing Frugalware.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They are always very conservative with updating but I have to say its a very stable distro. I still enjoy using it but I also want more up to date apps and they wont make a move as quickly as PCLinuxOS does.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Mageia 6.1 has had a huge update and they have moved to KDE 5.12.2, Frameworks, 5.4.2 and QT 5.9.4 with the 4.14.44 kernel. Thats farther than I expected but Mageia is a very stable distro that runs very well and is a great choice for everyday use.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They are still lagging a bit with updates. For instance, Firefox still hasnt gone to 60ESR, only 59ESR. Many smaller packages arent being updated, Bleachbit for instance.
Site Moderator