Raspberry Pi OS

Discussion on Linux distributions
wove

Raspberry Pi OS

Post by wove »

I had downloaded Raspberry Pi OS just because it is what is made for the Pi 400 and comes with all the nice utilities made for the system and hardware. It is a very usable distro. It is available in minimal (~450MB) which is what I used as a base for Trinity. It also come as what they refer to as a desktop version (~1GB) which I think is just about perfect for what I expect to be. And there is the full version (~3GB) which includes just about everything imaginable.

The desktop version, includes a browser (chromium), a media player (VLC) an image viewer (GPictViewer), text editor (MousePad) and a suitable selection of system monitoring and maintenance tools. The desktop uses the openbox window manager and their own DE whose name escapes me at the moment. The interface is very nicely done but perhaps a bit primitive. The preferences do not provide much for customization. A good deal of effort has been put into providing excellent theme consistency for the included application, but application from other DEs look like they do indeed come from other DEs.

This OS which is available for X86 architecture shines for low resource usage. I have a coupe Chromium tabs open, file manager open, text editor running and the system still hasn't broken 400MB of RAM with the processor core idling at 0%. When first booted it uses about ~175MB. This is a very viable alternative to Trinty on low resource hardware.