Comparing Linux Mint vs Fedora, which should you use?

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Comparing Linux Mint vs Fedora, which should you use?

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Comparing Linux Mint vs Fedora, which should you use?

Post by tlmiller »

IMO, while I'm not a big fan of Mint, this is like asking if you wanted to go for a refreshing swim in the ocean, or a nice dive into the pool filled with broken glass. I have TRIED to tolerate Fedora, and for a while (~versions 22-26 or so) it was pretty good. Not perfect, but not bad. But it's went downhill since then IMO, and is just...irritating trying to use it now.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Same here as I liked Fedora back in the 22-26 period, but right now simply wont use it. I was a fan of Mint as I use the KDE and XFCE versions but ive moved on to KDE and Feren was as close as I could get but they moved to Ubuntu.
Site Moderator
chris

Post by chris »

If you like Mint but dislike Ubuntu have you looked at Mint Debian Edition (LMDE). I find it better.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont dislike Ubuntu and in fact Feren OS is quite nice, I just prefer many of the Mint features. I dont dislike Debian but Im not a huge fan and have tried LMDE but didnt care for it. Was a long time user of Mint KDE till they dropped it and really havent found anything in their lineup that I want to use.
Thankfully Feren has kept enough of the Mint features that it fits my needs.

I may still give LMDE a try but with Cinnamon the DE I would prefer a KDE based distro designed with that in mind. Neon will probably end up being my choice.
Site Moderator