crosscourt

Ubuntu 21.04 has released

Post by crosscourt »

Including all the variants, https://distrowatch.com/11218
Site Moderator
wove

Re: Ubuntu 21.04 has released

Post by wove »

I gave both the Ubuntu release and the Ubuntu Budgie a quick look (couple hours on each).

Ubuntu had some glitches in graphics when rendering web sites with Epiphany. It uses a mix of Gnome 3.38 along with Gnome 40 and it seemed to me everything did not blend together as seamlessly as one could hope for. Probably very annoying to some, Ubuntu is using Snaps for many applications. Often though one just needs to check carefully because a distro installed version is available. It is inline with expectations for Ubuntu releases. It is stable, responsive, easy to configure and quite usable out of the box.

Ubuntu Budgie is a pretty stock Gnome install, with its own custom skin. It is not any more light weight than a standard Gnome install. The default is dark themed. The default install puts lots of emphasis on notification, widgets, applets and whatnot. None of that is really my preference. It is pretty customizable and it is possible to make it light and do away with notifications and applets. At that point though you would no doubt get a similar lighter weight and more responsive system by going with Ubuntu Mate.
crosscourt

Re: Ubuntu 21.04 has released

Post by crosscourt »

The short term releases are more up to date but typically have more issues than the LTS releases. As you said its very usable but quite a few issues have been reported already.
Site Moderator