Pop OS and EndeavourOS have jumped into the top 5

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Pop OS and EndeavourOS have jumped into the top 5

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been impressed with the rise of of these two distros in Distrowatch. Pop OS is 4 and EndeavourOS is 5 and rising. They pushed out some perennial favorites. Quite the lineup now with MX Linux at 1, Manjaro at 2, Mint at 3, Pop at 4 and Endeavour at 5. Its been a long time since Ubuntu has been out of the top 5.
Site Moderator
wove

Re: Pop OS and EndeavourOS have jumped into the top 5

Post by wove »

I have Pop OS installed on the X240. It is a very nice polished distro. System 76 has done a very nice job of sweating out the details. Everything about the system fits together so nicely both from a fit and finish looks stand point and from a usability stand point. The system is rock solid. My guess is that it has been up and running for a 6-8 weeks. I have 8 applications open. (Coming from MacOS, I just never got into the habit of quitting and application.)

The software center gets a red button on its icon when updates a available but nothing is installed until you select install. Unlike most OSes it never prompts you to restart and I actually should do a restart since the kernel was updated a couple weeks ago. Overall I have been very pleased with Pop OS. Htop tells me it is currently using ~3GB of ram, but with 8 applications open that is to be expected. The install sets aside a 4GB swap but it has never used the swap.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Whats your memory usage right after you boot and get to the GUI?
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I really do not know. I look at that after I first install and before I update and configure. I configure a system to start back up in the same state it was when shut down, so by the time it is running at a point to look at that information I am already using 2-3GB. I use a browser, a text editor, a notebook, an email client, a rss client and a terminal often and regular enough that it makes sense to just always have them open.

A very nice feature of Pop OS is exceptionally nice workspace and window management. I do not even really need to minimize applications, they can all have their window space and it is easy and fast to just switch workspaces to view or use them.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I start from scratch every time I boot as I carry nothing over from session to session which makes measuring ram usage a bit easier.
I run KDE most of the time so after I login and get to the desktop I go to ksysguard and look at the ram usage, which typically is around 425mb.
Ubuntu its around 700mb and Zorin with Gnome Shell is 1.15gb the highest of any distro I use. I use HTop with most distros unless they include a decent resource monitor. Some monitors such as the one with Ubuntu and Zorin dont show accurate numbers so I end up using HTop or similar.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Same with not carrying over sessions for me. My RAM usage is a bit higher than yours, usually nearing 700MB, but then, most of my systems have 32GB ram, and even my low end systems now have 16GB, so KDE allows itself to use a bit more when it has that much available. Still quite low as by comparison, the last time I tried Gnome, it was 1.2GB at startup. In Plasma, RARELY am I able to get it past 3 GB usage without starting up VM's.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive never been even close to using 3GB in session.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I am mostly always close to 3GB. I figure that is what I bought the RAM for, and actually if I am using only 3GB why did I bother to up the RAM in the machine to 8GB?
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I'm pretty much ALWAYS over 1GB used, usually over 2 GB used. Last night I had 2 browsers going with 2/5 tabs respectively, kate, steam via flatpak, and playing We Happy Few via Steam.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Never been over 2gb.
Site Moderator