Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Zorin OS 16 beta released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Zorin OS 16 beta released

Post by crosscourt »

Really nice looking distro with excellent laptop support, including touchpad gestures and a huge number of apps to chose from the included out of box Flathub app center, along with support for Snap. I tested it with live media and it loaded pretty quickly and wasnt using a huge amount of memory considering its a Gnome Shell based distro. May install it but typically wait for the final.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I might install it on my Dell E4310 and see how it does.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Really enjoying Zorin 16 and what a great choice for mainstream users given the features. Good for mobile or desktop use and they make it easy for people to get their devices synchronized. Easiest distro setup Ive tried in quite some time and its is also a good choice for high end systems and gaming.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Reinstalled the beta and its even better than it was the first time. Resource usage has dropped to 930mb, which is great for a Gnome Shell distro.
Running it on my 4310 which is a 2.67ghz i5 first generation, with 8gb of ram and a 128gb SSD. Its very quick on 10 year old hardware, and its a gorgeous looking distro. It automatically spotted my printers over the network and given they are Canon printers they work fine. No issues with wifi or any of my hardware.
The iso is around 2.5g and had no issues with installation. Nice selection of apps but Synaptic package manager wasnt installed by default. Firefox is the browser but added Thunderbird and Chromium via Snaps.
This is a great distro for people new to Linux to try coming from Windows. It just works and looking forward to using it long term.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Chromium had some issues for some reason so I uninstalled it thru the software store and installed Chrome instead and all is well.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Tested it today n a live dvd session with my Dell 3340 and it ran very well. No issues, nor hardware problems and all laptop features worked fine.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They went to the 5.11 kernel. Hoping final will release fairly soon.
Site Moderator