Kubuntu 16.04.3

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Kubuntu 16.04.3

Post by crosscourt »

Just installed Kubuntu and so far its a mixed bag. Install was fine though a bit slow but updating was a problem. It uses Muon Discover and it took 4 tries to get everything installed with two system freezes that Im not quite sure how it happened. Finally got it to work then immediately got Synaptic installed to avoid future problems. Have never liked Muon and I wish they would drop it. After that things went a lot better and additional programs were added with no issues. I continue to get messages that language support is incomplete even though Im using English and it wants to install proprietary drivers even though the generic ones work fine with this system. Annoying but I understand they are trying to make it easier for newbies.

Performance is good but resource usage is high at 617mbs versus other KDE distros like Mageia or PCLinuxOS.

Will be running more tests so Ill be back.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Kubuntu 16.04.3

Post by crosscourt »

Ok video tests went fine, gaming ok. So no issues after trying a number of apps like LibreOffic, VLC, and k3b.
If they can clean up the updating issue, its a very nice distro but lets see what happens down the road.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I haven't had good luck with Kubuntu over the years. Generally speaking, I've found it to be decidedly less stable than most of the other KDE "flagship" OS's (Neon, Kaos). Haven't had anywhere near the issues with various other *buntus that I have with Kubuntu.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Would agree with that as i had two system issues with Kubuntu and I just decided to stop testing it. I didnt have much luck with Neon either and havent tested KaOS yet, but Mageia runs fine along with PCLinuxOS. The other buntus are much more stable, but I couldnt recommend Kubuntu 16.04.3 to anyone.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

LOL!! went to shut down Kubuntu and it had some issues. I use to use this distro years ago and really liked it, its a shame. Lets see what happens with 18.04.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Did some updating today and everything is fine so far. No issues with shutdown or while using it. The initial update with Muon had a strange glitch but used Synaptic and after the updates it seems fine. Muon Ive always had issues with and they integrate it so its tough to shut down to use something else.

Will continue to play with it as the speed is excellent and resource use remains around 600-615mbs at GUI.
Site Moderator