My favorite KDE distros so far

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

My favorite KDE distros so far

Post by crosscourt »

Feren OS is my favorite Ubuntu based distro so far with its excellent user features and beautiful GUI.
MX Linux is my Debian based choice with its amazing MX Tools, choice of software and attention to detail.
On the RPM side PCLinuxOS Darkside has been a great distro with its unique look, minimalist install and ease of use.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: My favorite KDE distros so far

Post by tlmiller »

For me it's Endeavour minimal KDE and Debian minimal netinstall, and for the same reason both. They provide a very VANILLA experience, with very little garbage installed that I need to remove, and can be configured to look however you want them. A minimal install of KDE Neon is TOLERABLE, but given that there is no Chromium due to Ubuntu, and it IS Ubuntu, those are 2 strikes that go against it IMO.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I hate Arch and you hate Ubuntu, quite the case of opposite perspectives.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I installed the KDE version of postmarket OS which is based on Alpine Linux. Very minimal install you get settings, discover software, and konsole. The Pinebook Pro image is ~450MB, uses Wayland, and is the latest KDE release. The default is to encrypt the whole drive, which is a first I have tried on the Pinebook Pro.

I tried to install Endeavor OS on the Pinebook Pro. Using ARM, you have to start with a base install of Arch, then run a shell script to finish the Endeavor install. Arch has a Pinebook Pro image, but its purpose is to boot and then make/install Arch to the emmc. I gave up on installing Arch and so never got to see what is fine about Endeavor.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

wove wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:00 am I installed the KDE version of postmarket OS which is based on Alpine Linux. Very minimal install you get settings, discover software, and konsole. The Pinebook Pro image is ~450MB, uses Wayland, and is the latest KDE release. The default is to encrypt the whole drive, which is a first I have tried on the Pinebook Pro.

I tried to install Endeavor OS on the Pinebook Pro. Using ARM, you have to start with a base install of Arch, then run a shell script to finish the Endeavor install. Arch has a Pinebook Pro image, but its purpose is to boot and then make/install Arch to the emmc. I gave up on installing Arch and so never got to see what is fine about Endeavor.
The whole improvement of Endeavour is that on amd64, there's an installer. That's it. That's the entire appeal over Arch proper.
bin

Post by bin »

I took FerenOS for a spin and certainly they've done a nice job with their W10 theming.
Moving the settings menu stuff around a bit - well that's up to them I guess. Personally I do not see Fonts as being 'Advanced' but there you go.
Geary - any mail client is useless if it doesn't have an address book
Photos - reworked Shotwell and now you cannot even display a Folder view
User notifications of various sorts are very good and a welcome addition.
What I do not understand is the memory usage with Plasma. On tickover FerenOS seems to be around the 800M level. Even after stripping out some of the un-needed stuff it doesn't drop much. Quark was I recall a lot less. I'm sort of coming round to using Plasma mainly as a way of escaping the stranglehold of GTK3 in XFCE 4.16 - and I've been using XFCE since forever.... But whether I can stick with it or go with LXQT is debatable. :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I use Thunderbird and havent had any issues as I despise Geary. My resource usage is far lower than yours at 437mb at GUI In Feren without turning off any startup apps. None of my KDE distros use more than 550mb and right now Ive tested quite a few. Many of the KDE distros use in the 450mb range.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im at work using Feren and just started up my laptop and Im now at the GUI. Update manager is running as the only other added app, and Im using 449mb. Just ran update manager and after finishing its using 479mb. Havent done anything else and havent made any changes to startup apps.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just finished doing some work, Was online for quite awhile,did another small update and Im using 497mb at GUI. Just cant figure why youre using 800mb bin. Are you using the proprietary Nvidia drivers? That would cause it to be higher.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

No, I don't go near Nvidia!
I think I have found part of the answer. I'd been trying to install some extra themes using the built in tools and they didn't install. However there's a whole bunch of processes left running pointing at the KDE look source.
Very odd.