OpenMandriva Lx 4.2 RC released

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: OpenMandriva Lx 4.2 RC released

Post by crosscourt »

Its interesting as they offer Discover and DNF as package managers but Discover is the only update manager(they dont support Urpmi) and it handles Snap/ Flatpack plus it offers a software center. The installer is Calamares and time there werent any issues with installing over a previous install on the drive.

Im using it at work today to see how it goes and it compares very well to my Feren OS install.
Presently using it on my E4300 and it was good enough that Im not going to install Win10 on this system.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ok, there are a few problems and things to be aware of. First off use the software repository selector to enable certain repos you may want or need.
Also in Discover, click on settings and be sure that that all necessary repos are enabled. Discover has some issues such as sometimes stating there are updates and then shows nothing. Use konsole and type this, pkcon refresh force This will force packagekit to update itself and Discover will now show everything needed. Also go into konsole and type sudo dnf --refresh upgrade this will update the system to prevent other issues. I wish they had kept Urpmi as the update manager but lets see where this goes. In my case I didnt have any issues with updating after install but after that Discover wouldnt show apps and kept saying there were updates when it didnt show any.
Its been reported and Im sure they will get it worked out, but it doesnt detract from using the OS, but dnf works great.

This is a major change and a huge graphical upgrade so over time it should become far more polished.
I also remind that this is the RC not the final version.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Another nice feature is the desktop preset selector that allows you to set your desktop to one of six preset desktop types.
OpenMandriva
Plasma
Ubuntu
Win10
Win7
MacOS

Its a great feature that should make it far easier for crossover and new users to adapt to using OpenMandriva.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Dont laugh but every time I hear the musical theme at GUI it reminds me of the old days when I first used Mandriva. My first free Linux distro I used full time was Mandriva in 2006. Very well featured,good hardware support and easy to use. Its design made it easy for Windows users to use and get use to versus other distros. Mandriva at that time was one of or the top rated distro of the time.
OpenMandriva hasnt reached those heights and in fact Mageia has had more success overall as a fork of Mandriva.
Site Moderator