Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Manjaro Linux 20.2 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
wove

Re: Manjaro Linux 20.2 released

Post by wove »

Manjaro releases a new installer image every two months. It is a rolling release, so if already installed the software update mechinism will have already brought you up to the newest installer. I will note that after 2 months the downloaded updates are very close in size to the original installer image.

bill
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The only rolling release I use is PCLinuxOS but they release new versions a bit more irregularly than Manjaro. Feel free to post your impressions of Manjaro and how its working for you.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

To give Manjaro it props, it was the first distro that really jumped in and created a very useful distro for the Pinebook Pro. But with that said, it is not a distro that I particularly like.

I find its default themeing hard to see and use. It includes lots of non KDE software as well as lots of software I do not use. I am not very familiar with the pacman package manager, so it takes me much longer to set an install up to my liking. I tend to use a computer for an hour or two a day, and Manjaro being a rolling release with constant updates, it often feels like mostly what I am doing on the computer is updating it rather than using it.

Overall though it is stable, and its dark default themeing does make is seem new and modern. Overall I am clueless as to their target audience, it feels as if it is created by heavy duty computer geeks are trying to guess what a new user would like. If you enjoy tinkering with an OS it would most likely be a delight to use.

bill
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats pretty much how I feel about Manjaro. My experience with Arch in general, their forums and my dislike for pacman has completely put me off using it.

I came from the Mandriva side of things early on, then Mepis and PCLinuxOS so it never felt comfortable.
Site Moderator