Feren OS 2020.11 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Feren OS 2020.11 released

Post by crosscourt »

Right now outside of Neon that has had some issues recently, Feren is the only other KDE distro that stays more up to date with KDE that Ive seen.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

One thing that has surprised me is that despite being in freeze, Debian hasn't completely abandoned upgrading. They just released 5.20.6 today for Bullseye. No, not current, but a LOT closer than I EVER expected it to be given that it's frozen for release. I would love to see them get 5.21 bundled with bullseye when it releases, but I SERIOUSLY doubt it's going to happen.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Same here as Ive given up on anything Debian as I want to use a more recent KDE version.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Given the other choices, I could never give up on Debian. It's just so much better than anything based on it. Doesn't install tons of garbage, doesn't have these hideous color schemes that make me wanna retch, etc. It just installs and works. I appreciate that, and will probably ALWAYS have Debian installed.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont hate Debian but I want newer versions of apps and packages without having to wait. Neon is a minimalist distro if I need it but Feren offers everything I need with no issues. In particular I want newer versions of KDE. Ive used MX Linux and it offers quite a bit but is well behind other distros with current offerings. Netrunner was one of the few Debian distros that offered very recent offerings but they went away from that and are now just another distro in the pack.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Firefox update plus a kernel update and some other security and graphical upgrades but KDE still at 5.21.5.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They did a lot of upgrading and went from the 5.8 kernel to the 5.11 kernel, but still no recent KDE version. They are still stuck om 5.21.5.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm wondering if they're pulling (for some weird reason) from Debian Experimental for their KDE packages? Experimental has been at 5.21.5 for a long time now. I mean, I REALLY doubt it, but I've seen weirder things happen.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont think they are using Debian EXP and this may have been just a personal choice as so many have been with Feren. Feren isnt following the typical Kubuntu/Ubuntu path and they made some decisions that veer away greatly.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It appears bin was correct as I got a message from Feren OS that they do use Neon user edition packages to keep Plasma updated. So if thats the case why arent you using 5.22.4? No answer to that question.
Site Moderator