Feren OS 2020.11 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Feren OS 2020.11 released

Post by crosscourt »

Its interesting as Kubuntu of all my distros is the one I have the most issues with and the only KDE distro with major issues.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im impressed as Feren cleaned up the issues I was having and made it easier to change their custom desktop, without additional problems. I was using it today and was enjoying the experience. Still no 5.22.x KDE version though.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Spoke too soon as they went to 5.22.4 and I had many issues when installing it last night on my other laptop. Couldnt download widgets,went to edit the panels and add widgets and it kept locking up at times. System monitor was nice but the readings were completely different from Ksysguard and Htop.
The new desktop reminds me of a cross between MacOS and Win11 and tryed to make some changes but again KDE wasnt cooperating. In settings theyve made some changes and buried settings that use to be more out in the open into various advanced options tabs. Layout was far different than it had been with 5.20.5. I tried to remove Vivaldi with their web browser app and this may have been part of the issue. I got strange errors dealing with the KDE Plasma Workspace and it may be something is going on threr that affected aspects of KDE that I wasnt aware of. Never seen issues like this before with KDE and havent had any of these issues with Q4OS Gemini nor MX Linux. Feren has been adding Neon elements into Feren and it may be causing issues I didnt see when they were Mint based. In total not a fun experience and not sure if Im going to try and reinstall and Ill definitely not be trying Neon.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Tried to reinstall but had more issues so decided to stop trying.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I tried to install Feren one more time and it was a success. I created a new live dvd and installed with no issues. I originally removed Vivaldi from Feren the first time so didnt do that this time. Everything works with no issues. Widget download is fine, no configuration issues and no lockups.
In this form I very much enjoy using Feren which is one of my favorite KDE distros. Im running it on my 6440 but will also try it on my 3340 to see what happens. As to whether it was a bad image or did Vivaldi being removed have some type of an effect I have no idea. For now all is good and running KDE 5.22.4.

My advice is dont remove Vivaldi and it appears things will be fine.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I still have one recent install and theyve upgraded to KDE 5.22.5. Im still having some minor issues such as widgets that move on their own and my wifi wasnt recognized right away as it usually does.
Site Moderator