Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

KaOS 2020.09 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: KaOS 2020.09 released

Post by tlmiller »

Kaos isn't a bad distro, but it's slavish focus on QT applications makes it....less than ideal. Adding flatpak does help, since some of the software they refuse to package for it is available that way, but it still lacks a lot of choice.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Agree and its the reason Ive never bothered to use it even though I have tested it.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

tlmiller wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:16 pm Kaos isn't a bad distro, but it's slavish focus on QT applications makes it....less than ideal. Adding flatpak does help, since some of the software they refuse to package for it is available that way, but it still lacks a lot of choice.
This is true - but on the other hand 'do one thing and do it well' is not a bad approach when it comes to Qt. Also the provision of Pacman does at least allow you to build your own pretty easily these days........ :D

UPDATE:-
So I downloaded the latest and gave it a go.......sadly I still hate Plasma.......
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

There are much smoother experiences with Plasma than KaOS. Kubuntu has a minimalist install where you can customize it for yourself a bit more.
Neon isnt too far off that and also doesnt install a lot of what you dont need. MX Linux now has a KDE version you might want to take a look at as well.
Site Moderator