Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

MXLinux 19.2 KDE released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: MXLinux 19.2 KDE released

Post by crosscourt »

Probably wont give this a try as its not using newer KDE apps and even though it has MXtools there really isnt anything to differentiate it from other Debian KDE clone distros.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Might still give this a look given the KDE distro choices lately have been a bit sparse.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

After waiting quite awhile I gave it an install and what a nice distro this is. It has all the MX tools and features with a nice selection of apps. It doesnt use Discover which makes me happy and instead uses Muon as the package installer. There is also a MX package installer which gives you a huge number of extra offerings including kernels, dev apps, and other software. It uses the 5.6 kernel, KDE 5.14.5 and has Firefox/thunderbird as default.
It includes a Gsmart app for monitoring of your drives. No issues with hardware like wifi or printers and resource usage is around 445mb at GUI. Its a very quick distro. It includes cpu/system monitoring as well as a conky with time and system resources that can be toggled off with a single click.
Its not a generic KDE distro as it has all the custom features that are offered in the MX Linux XFCE version. It also doesnt use systemd.
Install was easy and fast but does require paying attention a bit more than using the Calameres installer but it is still newbie friendly.

This is a keeper along with my XFCE version and may become my main KDE distro after Ive used it more.
Ill post back as I do some multimedia testing and gaming to test.

They also have a Fluxbox version if anyone is interested. https://mxlinux.org
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

No issues with multimedia, videos or games. Performance is amazing considering Im running it on an older Dell E6420 laptop with 8gb of ram and a 128gb SSD. Will report back later once Ive used it more.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im going to install it on one of my desktop systems and see how it goes.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive done two additional installs on a Dell 7010 Optiplex USFF and a Dell Latitude E6430 and both went fine. No hardware issues and good performance.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Also tested on my Dell E6400 laptops and works like a charm and no hardware issues even with the age of this laptop.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive shifted to using it as my main distro on my everyday systems.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I read an items this morning on TechRadar I beleive, that had lots of nice things to say about MXLinux KDE release. I have not tried it.

bill