Debian bullseye on Pinebook Pro

Discussion on Linux distributions
wove

Debian bullseye on Pinebook Pro

Post by wove »

There was a script to install Debian on the Pinebook Pro and it took me way to long to figure out how to make it work. Debian Bullseye base is installed and then it uses tasksel to install the desktop of your choice. I installed KDE Plasma. It installed Plasma 5.17.5, which is not current, but not too old either. It is the only KDE install I have come across which installs Konqueror and uses it as the default browser. Konqueror is now using webkit for browsing and is pretty good. It is also used as a file manager, I guess that works but damn it is arcane.

The install also installs all the components of Kontact, but does not install Kontact itself. That is actually ok with me. Akregator does not work on this distro either since the backend metakit does not exist for ARM64. On first boot Ksysguard shows ram usage of ~325MB, which puts it on par with Q4OS. The install is a pretty bog standard KDE install, nothing special for either themeing or software. I have been changing up every couple weeks, so I will probably find something else to try. Overall though this is pretty nice.

bill
tlmiller

Re: Debian bullseye on Pinebook Pro

Post by tlmiller »

Have you ever tried Falkon as the browser?
wove

Re: Debian bullseye on Pinebook Pro

Post by wove »

I have used Falkon and I found it to be a very capable browser. I used/use Qupzilla its predecessor which I thought was acceptable. Qupzilla is available for Haiku and RISC OS as well as KDE Plasma. Falkon lacks any kind of sync, which for my personal use makes it a secondary browser. Falkon did an excellent job of me anyway of rendering the sites I visited quite quickly and accurately. I think it also has some built in ad block which is damn near an essential for today's browsing.

bill