crosscourt

Neptune 6.5 released

Post by crosscourt »

Debian 10 based KDE distro, https://distrowatch.com/10965
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Neptune 6.5 released

Post by tlmiller »

The last time I tried to use Neptune is was so insanely buggy and unstable it was essentially unusable. Not sure I'd even bother given they're just using the base plasma version from Debian and not doing a more up to date version like they used to.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont deal in the KDE Debian based distros as much as I use to because they dont offer much. Netrunner is fine but they dont offer the newer KDE version any more. Want to see how the MXLinux 19.2 KDE beta turns out.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, sadly most of them are just Debian + KDE, or in the case of Neptune, Debian w/ Backports active, the backports kernel already default, + KDE. Nothing you can't get through a few extra seconds of configuration with default Debian.
wove

Post by wove »

I was quite late to that discovery. I was impressed with Q4OS, but after a short time, I realized that what impressed me was the Trinity desktop. And one can create Q4Os' desktop right from a base Debian install by adding the Trinity repositories. Q4OS does make some settings easier, but settings can be done via changing configuration files. If you do want and use new versions of software, Debian is not a good choice.

If you wish to start with something like Fedora's ostree version which relies on flatpaks for the userland applications, one can easily build a cutting edge desktop using either a Plasma or Gnome desktop. Endless OS is an example of an OS built in this manner.

In any event perhaps many of the smaller distro developers will realize they need to up their game if they hope to keep attracting new users.

bill
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, it's one of the biggest reasons I'm not a fan of a MAJORITY of the distro's that are a spinoff of others. My big thing is unless you add things that makes your distro have something that isn't available in the parent, there's no actual point to your distro. So I don't mind things like Q4OS, because Trinity isn't available in the parent. But everything from Q4OS KDE is already available in Debian, it IMO has no point in it's existence. The same holds true for the VAST MAJORITY of derivative distro's IMO.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

For newbies some of the knockoffs like Q4OS KDE are easier to install and the additional Q4OS features come in handy. MXLinux has some really nice MXTools to make a newbies life easier. Even inexperienced users benefit from some of the added features you dont get with Debian.
Site Moderator