FuryBSD

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

FuryBSD

Post by tlmiller »

So I tried this out this week (well, attempted to). It's apparently a rather new BSD fork attempting to create a new, user-friendly BSD version since the prior attempts at this have fallen by the wayside. Their site can be found here. I thought the name was odd at first, before realizing I was reading it as furryBSD, not furyBSD. Once that was corrected, downloading and putting it on USB worked without issue. I tried it on my T470, figuring most of the hardware was old enough that even a BSD kernel should work. And MOSTLY I was right. It worked with the touchpad, keyboard, had the correct resolution, USB 3.0 ports worked...but the Intel AX200 was utterly unrecognized. So couldn't really install it without pulling out cables. So sadly that's where my testing finished up.
But with just trying the live version offline, I will say it's a very attractive looking desktop, ran quite smoothly although obviously there were only so many things I could test without any network connectivity.
crosscourt

Re: FuryBSD

Post by crosscourt »

FreeBSD is the one Ive had the best luck with and it has KDE Plasma available. I stopped testing BSD as I just got tired of all the issues.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

That's what Fury is based off of, and mostly follows. They're just trying to make it easier to install and get set up.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

A lot of BSDs claim to be easier to install and get setup, but so far my experience has been lacking.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

This seems like it might be successful if you have hardware that works. But given the wifi support is a year or 2 outdated, and I tend to live on the bleeding edge with WiFi...well, can't really say beyond the SHADOW of a doubt.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats par for the course with BSD. Hardware support for me was the biggest issue and it wasnt always bleeding edge issues, but certain device drivers had problems.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, same here. I think if I were to swap my wifi from my 5485 (9260) and the T470 (AX200) it may work. But despite getting a new BIOS a couple weeks ago, I'm not sure that the AX200 would function in the 5485 yet (definitely was a compatibility with the laptop, not the OS's, as nothing functioned correctly regardless of OS), and not worth the time to test if it doesn't.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So if anyone does try FuryBSD and has issues, I'm going to say don't bother joining their forums to ask questions. I posted a thread on the 14th about the AX200, And it has about a dozen views in 5 days from people not myself, and no replies. Pretty much noone active in the forums.