Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Fedora 32 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Fedora 32 released

Post by tlmiller »

I threw this on my A485. I like the new installer. It's an OEM installer like how ubuntu OEM install does. Goes through and installs everything, then reboots, and after the reboot you create users, connect to networks, etc.
Only Gnome installer available as of when I tried it, the spins were still Fedora 31. So had to remove all the gnome stuff and build a KDE desktop from scratch. Fairly easy at this point, although I'll be glad when(if) they release a netinstaller so I can do a minimal install.
So far, they don't force you to use non-native installers (flatpak/snap/appimage) for ANYTHING. BRAVO FEDORA!!!! See, this is how a proper OS should be developed Canonical!!!!
autofs is completely broken (at least for cifs mounts) on Fedora. Given systemd (and thus systemd.mount) is primarily developed by RedHat, and RedHat is pushing people to use systemd.automount instead of autofs, this cannot be a huge coincidence. Set up my NAS with systemd.automount. It works, but whereas autofs mounted 6 NAS shares with a single service, systemd.automount requires 12. I haven't tested it off my home network yet to ensure it doesn't cause some weirdness, freezing, or crashing when the shares aren't available. I'm hoping to test this out tomorrow.
Overall, it's quite functional, and pleasant to use SO FAR. Given the issues with Fedora basically following the Windows mold and getting slower with time that I've seen in past versions, who knows for how long this will remain so. But for now, it's a valid OS to use instead of *buntu since those simply don't work anymore for me.