PCLinuxOS 3/2020

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

PCLinuxOS 3/2020

Post by crosscourt »

Just installed it tonite with updates and its very nice. 5.5 kernel, 5.18.4 KDE and theyve improved the simple update notifier but they still use Synaptic which is a plus. No issues with hardware, and performance is excellent. Love the configure computer center and installing a different kernel is easy.
Nice selection of apps but minimalists probably wont be happy. The rolling updates worked fine as I hadnt run it for awhile so 720 updates were installed. Downloaded the recent iso to avoid that but no issues with multimedia or simple games. Ill post back once Ive used it more.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: PCLinuxOS 3/2020

Post by tlmiller »

Don't know how long it'll take to get the community version w/ Trinity released, but I'll probably try that. I tried the last release and it wouldn't work with the touchpad so I wasn't able to...well, do anything. So wasn't able to test with it installed. Hopefully next version will be better.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I used the Trinity version quite awhile ago and liked it but it did have issues. I may try the Mate version to see how far its come since last time I used it.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Theres already a Trinity community release version available as of 3/2020. Just click on community releases on their main page and pick the first here and youll see it.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Wow, that was quick...I had figured it would take several weeks.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its been out for quite awhile, late 2019 then March 2020. Thats one of my old communities, great bunch of people.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Ah, I see why I had never seen it before, I always try to go with torrents first, and the last Trinity release listed in torrents is last year...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Glad you spotted it but those guys are really good at keeping things moving. Any issues their forums are great.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just tried the livedvd for the Mate version and its really nice. I like the menu better than ubuntu Mate as its a Redmond style theme but uses the traditional, apps,places system menu setup. Not huge differences but very nice. Might install it.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

A few bugs bit nothing major. KDE version there is no battery indicator by default. In the Mate version if you use Mate Tweeaks and try to save your theme as I did with the Redmond version it doesnt show in the drop down. Also with the Redmond theme theres no clock in panel and it says instead no indicator. You can add a clock but you cant get it to the far right in the panel as any addons default to the left of the other icons.

Resource usage with the Mate version is amazing at 385mb, much lower than Ubuntu Mate. Overall a nice distro but be sure to install Mate tweaks.
Site Moderator