PCLinuxOS 3/2020

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: PCLinuxOS 3/2020

Post by tlmiller »

Oh, the clock was one of the things that took me the LONGEST to get used to in Mate. I sat there for so long trying to figure out how to modify the clock to show the date, when it turns out you have to remove the ENTIRE notification area, add the smaller notification area that dosen't include the clock, THEN add an independent clock. I was so mad that it took as long as it did to figure this out...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Took me a few minutes to correct it. Remove the no indicator area then right click and add clock to the panel. Right click on the clock and add date function. This doesnt happen in most Mate distros like Mint and Ubuntu. Ive been using Mate a lot over time, I was surprised they had this issue in the Redmond theme. I like the adding of apps in the panel with Mate its very quick.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I still like PCLOS Mate as the control center, rolling release nature and straightforward design suits me even though it looks a bit more ancient in some respects. For instance when I go to connect to wifi, it tells me the specific chipset/wifi card Im using with additional details. The interface isnt as slick as the one in KDE 5 but having more info and having the ability to adjust things directly in the control center is what I originally liked most about Mandriva/PCLOS.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ended up using the Fedora Mate theme as the Redmond and PCLinuxOS does have some issues they need to fix. Redmond in Ubuntu Mate works far better.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Huge update that included KDE 5.19 and Im already using the 5.6 kernel.
Site Moderator