Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Lubuntu 20.04 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Lubuntu 20.04 released

Post by crosscourt »

Havent given LXQT much of a look in awhile so might just do a live session with Lubuntu.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

First LTS release with LXQT and they use some KDE apps. Ill be installing this tonite as I want to see if its a better alternative to Mate.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:35 pm First LTS release with LXQT and they use some KDE apps. Ill be installing this tonite as I want to see if its a better alternative to Mate.
It makes sense. Some of the smaller KDE apps why reinvent the wheel? You already require all the QT libraries since it's QT based, so I'd use some of the less sprawling KDE apps as well, or some that's just so good (K3B) that there's no way you'll produce something better than it easily enough.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

This may turn out to be a nice alternative in a lightweight distro as Im still not sold entirely on Mate even though I do like it.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Mate is fighting with LXQT right now for 3rd place in my DE standings. Plasma is the clear leader with Trinity a bit behind it, then Mate or LXQT will be #3 & #4. AFter that, it's a giant drop into "the pit of unusable disgustingness". For DE's. I'll use some WM-only implementations, but won't touch any other DE's that I've tried after my top 4. They're just too ugly for my tastes.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

From what Ive seen so far LXQT may end up second or third on my list. Ubuntus version of Gnome 3 is number 1, followed by KDE more than likely, then LXQT, Mate and XFCE.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Played with the live dvd during my lunch hour and LXQT is what i would describe as KDE lite. It uses around 100mb less memory at GUI than KDE 5 and Im assuming once I install with a few tweaks maybe 150mb less or around 300mb at GUi. Performance even with the live session is excellent and no issues so far with hardware. Ill be installing this tonite and Ill see how it goes.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

LXQT is like a foreign land as I didnt find it as intuitive as KDE and the apps they use for various functions as well as Openbox were lacking. The flow of the distro with its menus/options also didnt work for me versus KDE. Having KDE apps is nice though but when resource usage is around 350mb, its not much lighter than KDE so why bother. Its just not as polished as say KDE or Mate where configuration and making changes is really easy to do.
Not much to recommend here but by all means please try it as you may like it but I was over LXDE and I can firmly say Im not going to use LXQT.
Site Moderator