Kubuntu 20.04 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Kubuntu 20.04 released

Post by crosscourt »

Just installed it on my Dell E6420 and it was very quick to get updated. %.4 kernel and the most recent KDE 5.18.4. Nice selection of apps, no issues with hardware, didnt have to add much as Firefox and Thunderbird along with LibreOffice was already installed. I added k3b,bleachbit,audacious and chromium for now. Make sure you install the Kubuntu restricted extras package for codecs and better fonts. No issues so far with multimedia ot simple games but Ill be back, once Ive used it more.

Look here, https://kubuntu.org or https://distrowatch.com/10886

If youre using the beta, it will be updated to the final release version.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Kubuntu 20.04 released

Post by tlmiller »

And now the wait begins for KDE Neon to rebase on this...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I wanted to try Kubuntu to see how it did but Yes, once Neon is out Ill be using it instead of Kubuntu.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've read that anymore Chromium is no longer available in the repos as a real browser and simply installs a snap app...any verification on that? (actually more than just Chromium...but that's the one that I've read the most)
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

TOTALLY forgot I have (well, had) an Ubuntu Mate test VM. Confirmed. Ubuntu is starting to remove packages and replace with snaps. Oh well...delete VM, and I guess I'll have to find a replacement for anything Ubuntu-based...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont have Snaps enabled on Ubuntu Mate so as far as I know its not installing anything Snap(except Chromium). You have the choice even with Ubuntu 20.04 to my knowledge. The advantage to Snap will be that you wont be running out of date apps with the LTS series as it auto updates Snap apps.
I still use Synaptic and not the Software Store/Boutique to install apps.
In regards to Chromium you are correct as its become a Snap only app but thats not the case for most apps.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yes, but I literally CANNNOT run snaps. They don't work if you have home directory anywhere but /home/<user>. So will not be using KDE Neon going forward since I can't use chromium on it, and the amount of software I can't install will only grow.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Not really an issue for me and so far I havent had any problems and I run a lot of Ubuntu based distros.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

For me it's an issue, so I cannot run anything Ubuntu based going forward.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Really enjoying this version of Kubuntu and Neon has actually had some issues recently so I ended up on Kubuntu a bit more. Had a kernel update already which floored me as past versions havent been real quick on any KDE or kernel updates.
Site Moderator