Ubuntu 20.04 beta released

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 beta released

Post by crosscourt »

I did a full install as Im sure you surmised and UBM has always been excellent in regards to hardware support. The difference with me is, it takes a lot of actions to get UBM up and running as opposed to Linux Mint Mate where you can also edit the menu some to make it simpler but not to the extent you can do it here. From a pure install standpoint I prefer Mint as its just easier, faster and simpler to install and ready to go, but UBM gives you some nice touches Mint doesnt offer. I wont be giving up KDE at this point for UBM but I do like it a lot.
I dont bother with VM as I need to know right away how a distro will react on bare metal so I can decide whether to recommend it or not. Since many of the distros I test are used for our non-profit programs its a necessity.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

For me a VM lets me decide if it's even worth trying on hardware. Most distro's (such as everything Gnome, everything XFCE) are just so bad there's no point in even putting them on hardware to try them. The design is unusably poorly designed, so doesn't matter how well they work with hardware, they're just not usable. Doing a VM lets me skip removing a usable OS to try some unusable OS and wasting my time.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I use live media for that rather than VM as I keep a backlog of live media again for our non-profit anyway. We still use dvds as its cheaper to make copies for people than using USB sticks.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I also use VM's to track OS's that I like, but aren't up to snuff. Have one of my VM's that tracks Void. When (if) it improves to the point where I think it might be good enough to use on real hardware, I'll then try it, but in the meantime, I can track it and follow how it's doing and progressing (or failing). Used to use more like this, but most didn't make it and have since gone away never to be heard from again (or at least in long enough that I assume they're no longer active).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Most distros I test and use, I rarely see major issues so again VM really isnt necessary. I install on hardware and run it for quite awhile to be sure its stable then offer it to clients. We have quite a variety of distros to give people a chance to experience it and make a choice that suits them.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Moved my drive over to my laptop instead of my USFF and had no issues at all and wifi worked very well. Ubuntu Mate is a very nice distro and brings back some nice memories of the old days when I was using Ubuntu with Gnome 2.
Site Moderator
chris

Post by chris »

Don't know whether it's of any interest here but I use MATE as my desktop with (vms) Slackware, Void, Mint and Antix. I have found that xfce4-terminal to be far better than mate-terminal for most font rendering - I also use Bedstead as my terminal font.