What distros have you been testing recently?

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: What distros have you been testing recently?

Post by crosscourt »

I dont use Q4OS any more and also use Debian with KDE even though my Q4OS experience overall was good with KDE.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

My newest x86 machine is an X220, so I really have no idea what wireless is supported by GhostBSD beyond the intel card in the X220. Wireless does seem a bit strange in GhostBSD however. The system boots up and you are on the desktop, with no networking visible and after a minute or so you get a popup saying wireless networks are available, (or you are connected if it is configured). It is almost like wireless is part of user land. And of course that is entirely possible. BSD still has root, administrator and user. Network interfaces would become visible to root, configured as an administer, then actually activated by the user.

I have not really explored how GhostBSD handles permissions, users and administrators. I am guess that Mate is installed at administrator level and shared by all users. I have not used BSD day to day for a long time, but I would setup everything needed at the low level, then install the desktop environment and applications as a regular user. It is funny all the hostility toward snaps and flatpak in Linux, while jails, ports, and self contained applications installed in Userland are an old and traditional part of BSD.

bill
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, got a new test system. The Chromebook will now be my test system as I traded off the T470 (with some cash) for a Razer RZ09-02386 today. So I'll probably be testing out FuryBSD and GhostBSD on it since it has the much older intel 8265 that I KNOW is supported by FreeBSD kernel. The only question will be how they handle scaling!! And if I can get the audio working in things other than Debian. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Gees, your a whirlwind of transaction. Hardware doesnt last long in your house.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:11 pm Gees, your a whirlwind of transaction. Hardware doesnt last long in your house.
Generally, no. Although I've had the 7490 for a couple years now...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

DragonflyBSD is also a good BSD to try and was used for a comparison test with FreeBSD over at www.phoronix.com
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm starting to collect a few iso's now that I'm keeping even ones I don't like to test in Ventoy's releases. The new 1.0.13 release fixed a bunch of distro's. Fedora 32 now works with it, along with OpenMandriva LX 4.1. Few still don't work (Q4os, Void, Mageia, ROSA), and all the ones that worked with prior versions still work. Neither BSD image I tried (GhostBSD and FuryBSD) worked with Ventoy.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive got the fewest number of testing distros Ive ever had. Moving away from the Ubuntu based distros doesnt leave much even with the Mint based ones.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Tried GhostBSD on the 3500, but it doesn't even work with the 9260, so...not exactly a stellar test given the 9260 has been out for close to 3 years now.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I used BSD on older hardware and still had many issues, mostly FreeBSD and DragonFly BSD
Site Moderator