What distros have you been testing recently?

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: What distros have you been testing recently?

Post by crosscourt »

THats why Im not sure about using Rosa as Im really happy with my other distros right now. Mint 20 is coming and Im assuming Feren OS will move down that path as well.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Toying with installing Rosa and seeing if it updates a bit more than earlier tries. Ill report back.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Installed Rosa and it went fine, except some of the testing repos have issues. I initially enabled some of them to see if any newer packages were available, but overall there were very few. Firefox 60.9, Chromium 80 and Thunderbird 52.9 with KDE 5.14 and the latest 4.15 kernel version. Runs great and I love the overall design of this distro. Testing all the apps and will do some multimedia testing as well and report back.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Everything seems to work as multimedia/videos are fine, tried a few simple games, did a few things with LibtreOffice 6.3.5. App choices are good with Rosa and they dont overdo it so those of you who are minimalists shouldnt be put off. I changed the Rosa Fresh theme to Breeze dark and added a KDE wallpaper called Earth plasma. AS an everyday distro its easy to use and keeps things as simple as possible. No welcome screen but everything you need is in the system admin area of settings, including updating and setting system software sources.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Rosa had some issues and had to drop it, so Ive moved to MX19.1, Ubuntu Mate 20.04 and Kubuntu 20.04.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I actually DON'T have any GalliumOS right now. Q4OS has replaced it since I do prefer Trinity on that Chromebook to Plasma. I should put something else on my 7490 just to avoid having so much Debian...right now the Desktop (pure debian), 7490 (pure debian), A485 (pure debian) and the Chromebook (q4os) all have some form of Debian on them...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Added PCLinuxOS 3/2020 on my E6420, the KDE version but I might try the Mate version.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So with the discovery that I won't be able to continue using anything based on Ubuntu, I'm triply glad I learned how to get sound working on q4os for my Chromebook!!

Also with this knowledge, I've downloaded Solus plasma, Calculate desktop, and NixOS plasma live to test out to see if any of them would be a suitable replacment for KDE Plasma.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

And I'm here with Solus on my 5485. Having never used eopkg before, I'm expecting this is going to be quite a learning experience.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Going to download Ubuntu 20.04 and have a Gnome experience tonite. Havent used it since Ubuntu Gnome so Im expecting its going to be a much better experience. Id like to try it as I run into a lot of Dell users who run it on their systems.
Ive got no issues with using Ubuntu based distros but my situation is far different than yours.

I used Solus awhile back and it had some issues and I didnt go back.
Site Moderator