What distros have you been testing recently?

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: What distros have you been testing recently?

Post by crosscourt »

Ive run the same media you did and didnt have any issues.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, I've historically had issues with finding the 1 or 2 laptops that PCLOS won't run on, so I"m not OVERLY shocked it just failed. I tried a few times, and always at the exact same point it kernel panics. So it wasn't a 1 time thing. And the USB key is still good as I was able to put something else on it and boot successfully (I'd be kinda pissed if it was the key, as it's nowhere NEAR old enough to have issues yet).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

You could contact them if nothing else to report the issue. I do know some people did have issues with the 5.5 kernel and dropped back to the 5.4
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I could. Probably won't since they always want so much information that quite frankly I"m not going to take the time to get since it was a live media and it's already been re-written, and without that information fixing the issue is near impossible unless someone has identical hardware.

Just to do something that I know WORKS, even if I don't like it, installing Fedora. Still going with 31, not the 32 beta. Installing Fedora nowhere near as bad as it used to be though, since I found they have netinstall images that allow you to choose minimal install so it doesn't install 50,000,000 packages I don't want.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Fedoira....... :roll:
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, apparently I should have just downloaded the 32 beta. iwlwifi module broken in Fedora. Worked at install, after first update, won't even see anything. Shows firmware failed to load, but not a firmware issue as I copied over working firmware from here and nada...

And yeah, Fedora is a horrible distro overall, with lots of constant bugs and breakages, but at least they don't force you to use snaps to do something so simple as use one of the 2 most popular browsers, and they have no intention of doing so (since snaps aren't developed by them).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just tried PCLinuxOS Mate and its really nice and has some pluses Ubuntu Mate doesnt have. I like PCLOS menu better but overall not any huge differences between the two. I might install it as I still dont like the Mate menu in Ubuntu Mate with the Redmond theme. Ended up going to the traditional theme with the apps,system,places menu design.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Compact menu FTW IMO. :D

So...FEdora 32 installer crashes when connecting to wireless. Guess I won't try that either.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Compact menu I had some issues with on my system, not sure why but I used Gnome 2 for years so traditional doesnt bother me at all.

Fedora......Id use OpenSUSE before Id use Fedora.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

No...OpenSuse is the absolute last choice. I would use snaps on Ubuntu before I use that EVER again. Heck, I'd go back to WIndows before I ever touch OpenSuse again. That OS plucked every last nerve of mine. I've never cussed so much at an OS in my life.

I like the compact menu during my testing of Mate. I may set up a VM and do Debian Mate, or PCLOS Mate to continue testing with Mate though.

I realized I could just install Fedora through wired network (I have 2 USB NIC's), but that would require me sliding 2 feet to the side or undoing the velcro on my 20' cable that's plugged into the switch...ugh...too much work.