What distros have you been testing recently?

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: What distros have you been testing recently?

Post by tlmiller »

Well, I have my Void test VM set up again, not finished installing/configuring everything on it, but at least I've got the basic install done now. :D
wove

Post by wove »

I was not familar with Void, so I visited their site and well I have to say I still can not make heads or tails of it. It does have good documentation. It appears to me as being to complex to set up for my typical desktop usage. I did not notice on the site any mention of targeted use cases.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been testing MX Linux 19.4 with the 5.10 kernel and so far its a winner. Its also using FF89 but is still stuck on KDE 5.14.5.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

wove wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:08 am I was not familar with Void, so I visited their site and well I have to say I still can not make heads or tails of it. It does have good documentation. It appears to me as being to complex to set up for my typical desktop usage. I did not notice on the site any mention of targeted use cases.
It's a bleeding edge, minimalistic distro ala Arch linux. However it uses runit for the init system. FAR FAR FAR smaller repos than most of the big distro's, but it DOES have sufficient stuff to be totally usable, just not the way I would prefer. Uses xbps-* for it's package management, and includes xbps-src which is similar to yay/yaourt/etc from Arch, allows you to compile from source. Doesn't have a TON of additional software that's not included in the main repos, but there is some.

Ultimately, it's really meant for many of the same usages as something like Arch. It's a general usage distro, and can be used on a server, but I personally wouldn't recommend it due to the "bleeding edge" nature. It's a distro that if you're one of the of anti-systemd people is worth checking out. It could grow to be a great OS, but currently as far as I'm concerned it's only OK.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I gave Netrunner a look as I hadnt used it for awhile and was pleased with its performance overall. Ive been checking back on many of my former long term test distros to see how theyve progressed. Q4OS 4.5 KDE was a pleasant surprise and impressive with how it dealt with both my older and newer hardware.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My other distro isnt keeping up with the newer KDE versions, so Ill be installing Neon this weekend. Ill evaluate it to see how stable it is versus my other distros, even with the newer KDE version.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im down to two distros these days. I use Feren OS KDE most of the time but also use Zorin 16 which Ive enjoyed using.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I have to say thyough I really like Q4OS Gemini and once Debian 11 launches I may use it instead of Feren OS.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I tried the latest beta of Haiku on VM. It wouldn't even boot from the live image. :D
wove

Post by wove »

Haiku has really struggled with the beta 3 release. There have been a lot of improvements, but a lot of regressions as well. The user base has been clammoring for a good while to release it, but the developers wanted to keep grinding on it.