What distros have you been testing recently?

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: What distros have you been testing recently?

Post by crosscourt »

I tried Q4OS Gemini 4.2 testing but it didnt go well. My Dell E6420 had issues with freezing and even with changing the compositor to Xrender it really didnt help. Guess Ill wait for it to go final and try it then.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Gave up with Mageia 8 and PCLinuxOS due to issues. Mageia 8 has issues with graphics and both distros have issues due to using Net Applet. It doesnt work correctly and many times wont auto switch between ethernet and wifi when was is off or not available. Its also not as convenient to use as Network Manager in the typical KDE distro. There are other niggles with both distros but for now Ive stopped using them.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been using RPM distros more lately as Ive preferred them over the years, having gotten my start in Linux with Mandriva and later PCLinuxOS.
Presently Im running PCLinuxOS Darkstar, a minimalist KDE distro, Mageia 8 Beta 2 and Rosa R11. I may give the rtecent OpenMandriva Lx 4.2 a look.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its really tough using the older KDE 5.14.5 distro versions because they lack the newer features and power of the Network Manager found in 5.20.xx KDE version distros. The difference is night and day between Feren OS KDE using 5.20.4 and Debian KDE 5.14.5.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been using Feren OS KDE and Zorin OS Core almost exclusively.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm still testing Void via VM, but have removed it from all my bare metal installs. It's just got too many TINY little niggling issues to use on bare metal after the install isn't brand new. MOst notably, I keep running into this scenario: xbps-src update-sys wants to build EVERYTHING that's updated new. xbps-install -Su won't update any packages due to a xbps-src package being outdated and needing updated so the dependencies can be updated. So you literally need to take the time to xbps-src pkg <package> to build the updated versions of those package, THEN xbps-install -Su to update the entire system, THEN you can xbps-src update-sys to build other source packages that you didn't have to update manually. This, IMO, is a pretty piss-poor workflow to do updates. There's other issues, but this is the biggest one I KEEP running into, so it's confined back to a VM only again.
Beyond that, I've been pretty boring, still using mostly Debian and EndeavourOS.
wove

Post by wove »

I have the latest Trinity Desktop running on Raspberry Pi OS on my Raspberry Pi (duh). I set that up several months ago and it has been stable and useful. I installed Pop OS on the x240 and again it has been stable and useful. I have been playing around with Endless OS, which released a development version for the Pinebook Pro. It does has short commings, but no more that other OSes for the Pinebook Pro. Endless OS is made for "emerging economies" and has more popularity in South America and Southeast Asia than it does in America or Europe. Like Pop OS it spends little time touting its underpinnings and stars very focused on user interaction.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

PCLinuxOS Trinity is the last one Ive tried and even though Trinity has improved, it simply doesnt work as well as other DEs for my purposes.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Havent been testing recently and I havent been distrohopping. Im using Feren OS KDE primarily with Q4OS Gemini 4.4 and Zorin OS 15.3 on occassion.
Its the first time in years that Ive been this focused on a single distro which I use mainly on my work laptop.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

I've been tinkering away on a VM with Debian Bullseye plus LXDE. Swapping xfwm4 in place of openbox-lxde for the WM provides a more rounded WM but openbox does make theming very easy!

I'll be playing with replacing pcmanfm with spacefm - though spacefm is a bit funny it should handle the desktop OK. Spacefm has seen work more recently though I'm not sure if it's seeing any more care. I've also been fiddling with xfe as the file manager. Compiled the latest version to replace the 1.43 from repos. Again it's a bit of an oddity but it does the trick. Down to 233mb RAM right now. Having just added another 8gb to give me 16gb it seems a bit pointless, but I do like things light.

Tried LXQT - meh!