What distros have you been testing recently?

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: What distros have you been testing recently?

Post by crosscourt »

Feren OS is the only one that Ive liked as its a recreation of KDE Mint with some unique features. Wish they stayed more up to date but at least they are using 5.17.5
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Still more up to date than a LOT of distro's. However, I do agree that given 5.18 is LTS, it would make a lot of sense for them to move to that.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been playing with Zorin OS 15.2 on my laptop and its improved greatly, both from a feature standpoint, but also with reduced resource usage.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Updated all my distros and installed Q4OS Quark 20.04 with success, I also changed out my wallpapers to a nice KDE Plasma one called Earth Plasma. Feren OS updartw got a bit wonky and the Libreoffice update needed some package fixing. Im presently using Feren, Neon,Q4OS 3.10 KDE and Q4OS Quark KDE on my laptops
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Other than my standby's, really only used Void recently. Still can't get it to change resolution in Qemu. Although still affects anything KDE Plasma 5.18.x, not just Void. Bah. Ugly resolution...

Given how much extra time I have, I should start testing more. Plenty of drive space and memory on my desktop (16 thread, 32GB ram), the 7400 (8 thread, 32GB ram) and the forthcoming laptop (8 thread, 32GB ram) to do some pretty serious testing!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Might give OpenMandriva 4.1 a try as it seems to have improved according to sources, so might look at it this weekend.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Let us know, I should really start playing around with things again too. Might be worth looking at just due to how long it's been since I used it. Can't remember, was it ROSA or OpenMandriva that switched to DNF over urpmi?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Mandriva switched to DNF but dont waste your time. I tried it tonite and there are so many issues with OpenMandriva I was stunned. After install it wont see my login and Im sure it was right. reinstalled and everything was fine. Discover is broken but DNF was fine but a hodgepodge of apps and many times the system doesnt seem to understand what the default app was. Tried installing nvidia drivers for the laptop and the drivers are completely broken. Couldnt install Steam, printer wasnt seen and no drivers available andwifi had issues as well. Thats the short list so that didnt last long.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I downloaded Rosa R11 and give it a try again and what a nice distro it is but I wish it was more up to date. Even with the testing repo it just wouldnt update very far. Still uses KDE 5.14.4 and the 4.15 kernel but overall its design, setup, GUI and overall feel really suits me. Its still using Firefox ESR 60.8 which suprised me but I believe its still supported. Its very stable and didnt have any of the problems that OpenMandriva did. I may play with it for awhile given how much I like it overall but given the age of the apps it reminds me of Debian distros.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I don't (in theory) mind old kernels. The only thing that it prevents is my wifi, and only on the AX200 laptops (mind you, that's all but 2). The "even older desktop than Debian" however, yeah, THAT bugs me.