What distros have you been testing recently?

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: What distros have you been testing recently?

Post by tlmiller »

IME, Neon doesn't install ANYTHING by default beyond the EXTREMELY BASIC KDE Powerdevil to help with battery life or thermal control.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I noticed that but so far everything seems fine.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Linux Mint 20.2 XFCE is really growing on me and Ive been using it quite a bit. Very stable, no issues, good resource usage and nice added user features.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Since I had tried to test Win11 on my Chuwi, decided to play around with some other distro's on it (BTW - Win11 was a total failure. Bare metal install REQUIRES you to sign in with a MS account, so I wasn't able to proceed past that point).

OpenMandriva LX 4.2 - doesn't work on Ventoy
ROSA Fresh R11.1 - Boots fine. Highly outdated gui, plasma 5.14.4. 5.4 kernel, yet wouldn't work with my AX201 (5.2+ supported). Didn't bother installing, saw enough live to determine this wasn't worth my time.
Mageia 8 - Another distro like Q4OS that uses the highly antiquated network manager that doesn't recognize technology that was made in the 21st century and only sees WEP as an option on the AX201. And even through nmtui doesn't support WPA3 encryption despite having a 5.10 kernel. Well, no need to install this, seen all I need to see live, another one that's not worth my time.

Also, my collection of ISO's finally grew to the point where I"ve been forced to make a second Ventoy USB. I now have 2 32GB USB's with Ventoy in order to be able to boot any of the ISO's I keep on hand (I was about 1GB too much ISO's).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I like Mageia 8(except for network manager) but Mandriva is a mess and ROSA is simply outdated.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Just to be complete, I tried out OpenSUSE Leap 15.3 on the Chuwi. My opinion on that OS hasn't changed. The actual installation is nice, but system maintenance and their style of doing it is just absolutely maddening for me. I end up hating the distro more than I hate Windows within 15 minutes of attempting to do things.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I like OpenSUSE but agree that the way they do things is too different and awkward for me handle. Gecko simplifies things quite a bit but still to odd in the way it does things.

KDE Neon is beginning to grow on me and Feren OS has got to solve the issues with the Neon packages they include to keep it more up to date. Two of my Feren installs are completely screwed up as they were older versions that were upgraded and both dont work well.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Started using Neon regularly and the most recent version is far more stable than past versions Ive tried. It comes the closest to the KDE distro I would like to use but still testing other distros.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I had been testing Artix recently. Neat concept, it's Arch without systemd. They offer OPenRC, S6, or Runit. I like Runit so wanted to try it. Obviously, since it's systemd-free a LOT of the core packages had to be replaced so Artix uses their own repos. The repos are generally slow, and a LOT of the packages haven't been converted. I was having to build FAR MORE than I like from -git versions in the aur instead of the stable versions. Clementine failed to build. Ksnip failed to build. Smplayer wanted to build on QT4????? No firefox in the repos, it takes almost an HOUR to build that in the VM. Ultimaitely, it just proved to be too much work for too little reward. I like runit, I wish there were more options for using it, but Artix is garbage.
wove

Post by wove »

Going a bit off topic here. I was curious as what you use to create your VMs with. I have been using Boxes, but you do bang into limitations with it. VirtualBox and VMware Player seem to be very similar, and of course I think you can create VMs with docker as well.