What distros have you been testing recently?

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: What distros have you been testing recently?

Post by tlmiller »

I've actually been running a lot of my VM of Freespire and Void. Drastically different style systems, and totally different reasons why I wouldn't be willing to put either on one of my bare iron systems. But they're both pretty nice OS's...for what they are.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Gave up on Freespire as their attitude means its not worth the time. Peppermint has many of the same features with a responsive and fun community.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

There is a surprising amount of hate for Peppermint in various forums. I don't quite get why, but it's definitely a polarizing OS.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats interesting as I havent run into any hate for Peppermint. Its generally seen as a good distro in my travels.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've seen a lot of hate on it in the r/linuxquestions subreddit, and on linuxquestions.org site.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Any single forum can get onto a tangent about a distro depending on whos posting. I assume you travel as many forums as I do and overall Peppermint is seen as a good distro with a solid support community. I was in the Mint forums the other day and they were discussing Peppermint without issues. Everybody compares distros and preferences create divisions at times. Honestly the only distro I see a lot of negative comments about and their forums is Arch. Everyone says their documentation is great but then all the niggles start to come out in spades.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, how can you NOT talk down about the Arch community? Even as much as I love Arch as an OS, I despise the community for how intolerant and unwelcoming to new users they are.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Whats interesting though is Debian is the second most talked down distro I see in forums. My travels include, Arstechnica, Anandtech, Techspot, LXer, and various distro specific forums.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Oddly, despite going on 15 years as Debian as my primary OS, I've NEVER had an account on the Debian forums. But I do hear that same thing.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Third most takled down distro in my experience is Fedora in general tech forums.
Site Moderator