What distros have you been testing recently?

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: What distros have you been testing recently?

Post by tlmiller »

Almost noone I know still owns an optical drive for their computer (I do have an external USB 3 blu-ray+everything else drive), so it's been like 4 or 5 years since I've burnt a disc. I do still have about 2 dozen blank DVD+R's, 2-3 DVD+R DL's, and a singular blank blu-ray...just in case.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just depends who it is. Many of my friends, family and tech buddies still use DVDs. Habits have changed no doubt but they are still useful and handy.
I use them to promote Linux primarily but I also make copies of games in my collection. I still have floppies because of my gaming collection. I also still watch DVD movies and record things on them.
In your situation as a high end tech user, its pretty much a waste of time.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

We still use DVDs and have a player (combo DVD/VHS) hooked to the TV, but it has been a while since I have used one with a computer. My PowerMac G5 was the last computer with a drive built in before the AIO. I have used it a couple times mainly spinning up VMs using old CD/DVD installers. I always did like Ubuntu 16.04, the last Unity interface.

Endless is using GTK4 now and the UI is as messy as it has been in sometime. The move from primary vertical scrolling to horizontal scrolling has been confusing and their desktop has suffered from it. Chromium is the typical default browser, if the installer finds you are in the US it will install Chrome automatically. Chrome includes multimedia codecs which Endless uses system wide. Endless only ships unencumbered free software, and installing Chrome gets around license problems.

Tablets have been a huge influence on my workflow. I like having everything I use open and full screen, and just seamlessly switching from app to app. Macs have had global search since 1996 and it is wonderful. In KDE Krunner is my main launcher, Unity had global search, Gnome has had global search since gnome 3. In honesty besides providing branding and eye candy I am not sure I even know what purpose a desktop serves anymore.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Feren OS at least in my case trying to install on the 3340 had many problems and frankly I got tired of dealing with it. Both Zorin and Q4OS ran well on itt in live sessions but I ended up installing Q4OS Gemini and it worked out great.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Tried Neon and had many issues with the most recent version. I didnt care for some of the changes they made with 5.22.5 and still dont understand why it didnt like my 3340 and 6440 laptops. Q4OS Gemini didnt have any issues but it uses 5.20.5 which honestly I prefer. Given this situation I decided to try some XFCE distros like Mint, Linux Lite and MX Linux just in case.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Tried Linux Lite 5.6 and it was good but not great so its out. Will wait for MX21 to come out and give it a try. So far Mint XFCE by far is the best experience overall but will be trying Zorin OS 16 Lite and MX Linux 21 when they come out.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Reinstalled Feren with a new image and didnt remove Vivaldi this time and its all working just fine.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Tried to download KDE Neon starting Saturday night and all I get is a network error.thru last night.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

There are no viable additional mirrors for KDE Neon. The only direct download source doesnt work and has failed for days. Never seen this happen on my on my other distros. Couldnt get the torrent to work either but finally tonite, the torrent did work and Ive got the iso.
Will install it tonite more than likely and see how it goes.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im testing Q4OS Gemini and KDE Neon at work to see which one suits me better for veryday use. Cooling and battery life are two of the largest concerns.
Im using a Xfinity hot spot so the signal isnt very good at times so curious to see if wither distro have a differences in that regard.
Site Moderator