What distros have you been testing recently?

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: What distros have you been testing recently?

Post by crosscourt »

Played with Devuan and its got some issues. The install is a bit busy I think for most users and wouldnt be a great fit for new users. Im really disappointed that there arent more unique KDE Debian based distros.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

My issue with Devuan is that it's ARCHAIC. The current release is on KDE 5.8.6. TESTING is on 5.14.5!!!!!!?????!!!!??? I mean, how do you not bring your distro up to date with the next testing??? Debian's age gets to me, I can't use something that using it is like exhuming a phaoroh from ancient Egypt with all the tools being stone & brass and it hasn't even discovered electricity yet...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

No doubt as I should have elaborated about the issues I found with Devuan. SolydXK isnt much better than Devuan.
I will say the move to use the Calamares installer with Debian 10 live isos is a great move to allow less experienced users to try it.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Right now Neon is the only KDE distro that updates to newest KDE versions reliably. Feren OS comes the closest but thats about it. Netrunner use to be that way but they went the stable route and now use 5.14.5. Even though they still have some unique features, they are no longer cutting edge.
Ive been testing a lot of KDE distros and have been mostly disappointed.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Still looking for another KDE distro to try but so far nothing strikes me. Best so far have been,
Feren OS
Neon
Kubuntu
Debian
Netrunner
PCLinuxOS
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Might give Mageia and OpenMandriva another look to see if anything has changed/improved.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Mageia and OpenMandriva are a wash. Still have issues and are a far cry from their competition.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Neon is no more as I dropped using it due to the Snap issues. Feren OS based on Mint has taken its place and Im also using some Debian based distros with KDE like Netrunner and Debian. Mint 20 Cinnamon will also jump in to replace Neon given all of these distros dont use Snap.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I lost faith in Q4OS and starting with a minimal Debian install, I simply added the Trinity respositories and installed the Trinity Desktop. It does very nicely, and just using the Debian repositories I have had no trouble installing any of the applications I like to use.

Away from the Pinebook Pro, I install GhostBSD on the remains of my Thinkpad X220. I runs better than any "disto" of BSD I have used. It uses a newer version of the Mate desktop which is very nicely themed. Of course it runs whatever applications you might install. It offers a decent selection of pre built bianaries and other software you may need is installed by compiling using pkg which is not really much different from using AUR in Arch or Manjaro.

bill
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've read about GhostBSD but haven't actually tried it yet. I had tried the similar in intent (although not similar in any other way) FuryBSD. I should try GhostBSD too. Do you happen to know offhand if GhostBSD's kernel has support for the Intel AX200 yet? That was my problem with FuryBSD, no support in FreeBSD kernel (which FuryBSD uses) for that wireless.