What distros have you been testing recently?

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: What distros have you been testing recently?

Post by tlmiller »

yeah, I wasn't OVERLY surprised, but given there seems to be a new push for BSD as a desktop OS, I thought maybe they had gotten better with wifi support, since that's rather important for most people nowadays, as many even use their desktops via wifi now.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its kinda like the year of Linux, you see comments about how BSD will be a great desktop alternative but it never really happens.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Things have really changed as my top two distros are both Mint based, Feren OS KDE and Mint Cinnamon, followed by Netrunner KDE.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im using Feren OS KDE at work and its been great so far. No issues, stable and has many nice features like the new Mint system maintenance/reports feature.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Haiku has a new beta out. I have been having some fun with it. It is not Linux, BSD, Windows related, but its own unique OS. It is very fast and responsive. The QT toolkit has been ported to it, so it runs Calligra, Cupzilla, Krita, Kdenlive, Karbon and a host of other KDE applications.

<https://www.haiku-os.org/get-haiku/r1be ... ase-notes/>

bill
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Does it actually run on real hardware yet? That's always been my thing, I've never gotten Haiku to boot an actual device.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Visually it reminds me of BeOS even though almost nothing in Haiku is based on it any more. They use the FreeBSD network drivers so its a bit of a mongrel in terms of hardware support. Ive never gotten it to boot on any of my hardware and Ive got both older and newer systems.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Probably means no chance of getting my systems to boot off it...
wove

Post by wove »

Wireless card, probably not. It uses the BSD wireless stack, so if it is not part of BSD, Haiku does not support it. It actually uses a stock strandard VESA driver, so you can say it supports no graphics card, while actually it will work with just about all graphics cards.

It is very fast. I incorporates some concepts that never made main stream, which makes it interesting to use. For instance it handles emails as just files in a folder, the "inbox" folder to be exact, and any document you create can become an email, by simply providing an email address. It does run well in virtual box, and runs well from a USB stick.

bill
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Eh, it's possible I could try this on my Chromebook then. Last I checked the Intel 8265 was supported on BSD, and that's what it has (for now). MIght do that tonight. Also test if the ISO will boot using Ventoy. 2 birds with one stone...