What distros have you been testing recently?

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: What distros have you been testing recently?

Post by crosscourt »

Will be looking at Zorin 16 this week after seeing some videos on it that impressed me.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Decided to wait till the Zorin 16 final comes out. Will post back.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I really need to rebuild my Void VM...I should do that this weekend since I'm in the office all week.
wove

Post by wove »

I have enjoyed working with VMs, but I have never had powerful enough hardware to do anything beyond peeking and poking at different OSes. Intel markets "4 threads" like it is magic, but all I have had are 2 cores. I have had 8GB of RAM in my systems, which is ample for one system, but not really enough to do a good job with VMs. I would like to use a VM to more fully explore different takes on the OS from Linux, something along the lines of Haiku, or BSD.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I really love my desktop for this reason. 8 cores, 16 threads, 32GB ram. I can have 2 4 thread 8GB ram VM's running simultaneously and the machine is still totally responsive for "basic" work.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive got good hardware but still tend to use live media to initially look at various distros, then I do test installs if I want to use it for awhile. I share a lot of distros with users and its easier doing it this way. I hand out a lot of live dvds to people to try.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:17 pm Ive got good hardware but still tend to use live media to initially look at various distros, then I do test installs if I want to use it for awhile. I share a lot of distros with users and its easier doing it this way. I hand out a lot of live dvds to people to try.
I tend to keep VM's of distro's that are neat to track, but simply aren't worth keeping installed. Void, sadly, is the only one that currently falls into this bucket. I really like a lot about Void. But I also dislike a fair amount about it. It's quite slow to update, there's still a lot of software I like missing from it, xpb-src is NOWHERE near as versatile as something like yay for Arch. It's got such...potential...but at the moment it's just not good enough to use for more than short periods of time.

The other VM's I NORMALLY would have are all to keep tracking DE's that I don't normally use but can tolerate, ie - Mate and Trinity. But both are built on Debian VM's. I should probably consider moving the Mate one to Arch with the installer, but Trinity doesn't work well with Arch so it's going to have to stay on Debian.

Sadly, as far as distro's to actually use, there's really only 3 left for me, and one of those is at the edge. Debian and Endeavour are fantastic OS's to me. KDE Neon is still just barely usable on bare metal. Everything else just leaves me underwhelmed and irritated by the amount of customization I need to do in order to get it to look so that it's not ugly to me, and doesn't have tons of useless garbage installed that I don't want on my systems.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats the way Ive felt for quite awhile. Im down to Feren OS primarily but would consider KDE Neon if Feren had issues. I also use Zorin and MX Linux on occasion.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:45 pm Thats the way Ive felt for quite awhile. Im down to Feren OS primarily but would consider KDE Neon if Feren had issues. I also use Zorin and MX Linux on occasion.
I REALLLLLLYYYYY wish Neon would rebase onto Debian instead of Ubuntu, I'd love it then. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I prefer Ubuntu myself but my complaint with Neon is just the opposite of yours. I dont want tons of extra apps but I also dont like minimalist installs with KDE. I want a middle of the road approach then let make the rest of the decisions.
Site Moderator