What distros have you been testing recently?

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: What distros have you been testing recently?

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been testing the PCLinuxOS Trinity version which is a community distro.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I found that to be a rather nice looking setup, actually a very nice looking setup. As I recall it was a somewhat old version of Trinity. It did not pickup that my laptop had a battery and it also offered no power management options. I tried to get it working better for a while.I also noted that it seem to be full of kde5 libraries which seemed pointless. It struck me as being rather pointlessly bloated. I gave up on it after a couple hours. Community editions can be such a mixed bag. I have found some to be just as good as the main distribution, some are rather poor cobbled together messes.

bill
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

PCLOS Trinity improved quite a bit but for me I still prefer the feature set in KDE.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been purging distros that havent worked out very well. Lubuntu I gave up on as I simply dislike LXQT and the overall design of Lubuntu. Zorin OS Lite has too many issues so I dropped that. PCLinuxOS has some issues as well and just doesnt offer as good a KDE experience as other distros.
After using MX Linux KDE I ended up dropping the XFCE version.

Q4OS KDE 3.12 has really improved and is one of the lightest KDE distros Ive tested. It works well on my older laptops with its 375mb resource usage. Its essentially a Debian 10 install with added perks. I use to run Debian but I now run Q4OS instead and its not only fast to install but very stable.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ran an old install of Zorin OS 15 on my older desktop, a Dell 7010 Optiplex with a i5 2.7ghz, 16gb ram and a conventional 500gb Seagate hard drive.
The load time is around 44 seconds but once youre in its a very fast OS overall. Had to do over 750mb of updates but its up and running. I use it as an alternative to my Win10 install on the same system.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Was using Q4OS 3.12 TDEwith a few of my much older systems but I switched them to the KDE version and they run just fine.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Feren OS as they move away from being Mint based has really turned out to be one of the best KDE distros Ive used. Their 20.04 version is definitely worth a look for KDE fans.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

PCLinuxOS I recently updated and its gone to KDE 5.20.3 and the 5.8 kernel. Very quick feel to the distro and very stable.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Fyde OS was released for the Pinebook Pro. As with most things I try on the Pinebook Pro, Fyde OS does not run as well on the Pinebook Pro as it does on X86 hardware. It runs as fast and fluid, but there is no power management, and I have not had any luck in getting the Android sub system functioning. One thing I noticed is that Google is deprecating most of their Chome apps and moving to just using everything in browser, which makes the whole system seem much less appealing.

bill
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I noticed that with my Chromebook/Chromebox which is a mistake, particularly in the case of the Chromebox, as deprecating the Chrome apps doesnt make any sense. For people on the go, who are ok with doing everything online and keeping their files online its a really nice way to go. I use it mainly for entertainment, simple browsing and online communication.
Site Moderator