What distros have you been testing recently?

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: What distros have you been testing recently?

Post by tlmiller »

I was actually using my Void VM again yesterday for a while. It's got plasma 5.18.1, didn't think to look at what Kernel it's running, I assume it's a 5.5.something. Still runs rather well.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I tried SteamOs a few days ago and although it does seem to run the steam client well and games have been downloaded and run ok, the Linux desktop seems pretty useless, I could not even get a terminal to run without it crashing! It looks like I will have to keep it as a standalone OS only to be used for Steam games.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My general experience with Linux and gaming hasnt been good. Even Steam hasnt been a great experience most of the time. Performance and lack of newer game support to name a few but the list is far too long for one post.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I saw a YT video about Linux gaming on Steam and thought I'd give it a watch and it didn't look too bad, provided you can get the right firmware it should perform pretty well. I have only done minimum testing (installed it and d/l'd and played a couple of quick games) so cannot say how good it runs, and I'm so bad at these games that I couldn't really put any hardware through it's paces :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

If youre ok with not being able to play some games that arent available on Steam or the performance issues that crop up constantly its not a bad choice. Steam has become a Linux lifeline but its still far easier to run games in Windows and depending on the game it may be youre only choice. If you play mostly older games Linux will work out fine. My expectations are a lot higher now that Im back into it and it wasnt an option for me.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I just had another stint on there and I'm not keen, the "linux desktop" is pretty useless and can't open a terminal! I can get firefox to open but the screen resolution is terrible, I have looked everywhere GUI-wise and I can't open a new tty to check for firmware etc...
I'm not sure I would get enough use out of it compared to the effort I will have to go through to get it all running how I want it... I'll put that one on the shelf for a while and use (dare I say it?) M$ for gaming as it is just easier, and as its an option I might as well use it and save the time and effort. I might even get time to play a game then :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just tested Netrunner 20.01 but not a whole lot of difference from 19.08 as its just a step up to a newer Debian version.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I love Q4OS Centaurus 3.10 KDE but I wish they would have some Q4OS themes, backgrounds and wallpapers to push their brand otherwise it looks and acts like Debian 10.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just noticed Arch Linux has an iso with the 5.6 kernel.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Is that tempting you to try Arch in a VM? :D